Being unwell on day of test...should he miss test?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Wildflowa

Being unwell on day of test...should he miss test?

Post by Wildflowa »

I'm asking for a parent who isn't registered here as she isn't very IT or Internet literate ...
Her child has been ill this week and has the 11plus test next week
If her child can't attend the test ...will she be able to re sit the test and do they penalise or reduce her overall score because of this?
She's basically wondering whether she should send her child in any way as she's worried that she may lose marks if she sits the test in a different day
Can anyone advise what happens?
Guest55

Re: Being unwell on day of test...should he miss test?

Post by Guest55 »

He shouldn't take the test if he is ill - which 11+ are we talking about?
Wildflowa

Post by Wildflowa »

Bucks...next week...mum is worried that he will be penalised if they sit on a different date although I have told her that its v unlikely they will penalise ....but as I'm not an expert ...I've checked the website for her and it doenst say anything about scores being penalised
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

Guest55 is a Bucks expert. I'm sure G55 will confirm that they do not penalise. They will have a backup date. However he might be better by then, if so perhaps better to get it over with? Still 6 days to go...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Wildflowa wrote:I'm asking for a parent who isn't registered here as she isn't very IT or Internet literate ...
Her child has been ill this week and has the 11plus test next week
If her child can't attend the test ...will she be able to re sit the test and do they penalise or reduce her overall score because of this?
She's basically wondering whether she should send her child in any way as she's worried that she may lose marks if she sits the test in a different day
Can anyone advise what happens?
Your friend needs to (re-, I hope)read the information given by the exam organisers as to the procedure for dealing with this situation. The child should not be presented to take the exam if he is unwell and there is any possibility that his ability to complete the exam to the best of his ability will be impaired by this. There is no 'penalty' for having to defer to the reserve date, but she will need to provide written corroboration from their GP or another medical professional that child is indeed unwell.

By taking him to sit the test, she is saying to the school that he is fit to take it; if he did do badly, she would have a very hard time trying to convince an appeal panel that he should have qualified.

If the registration process has all been online and your friend is as computer-non-literate as you say, it would be a kindness on your part to find and print off a hard copy of any 'Information for Parents' type documents from the website for her.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If he's in a Bucks primary he can sit it anther day and if not there will be a later sitting but results may not arrive before CAF.

As has been said above, this is all explained in the booklet.

http://beta.buckscc.gov.uk/moving-up-to ... ate-tests/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wildflowa

Post by Wildflowa »

Thank you...
Wildflowa

Post by Wildflowa »

Yes...that's the we page I had also checked too :-)
AML

Post by AML »

I feel as a medical professional seeing the GP for this kind of thing is a waste of NHS appointment time.

http://fitforwork.org/employee/returnin ... ification/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For illnesses of seven days or less and self limiting illnesses, we don't encourage to seek a GP appointment. This is a waste of NHS resources. Also how can a GP verify you were unwell if you are unable to get an appointment, it usually results in a private certificate for which we just go on the patient's word.