Some last-minute questions about the exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rosetta

Some last-minute questions about the exam

Post by rosetta »

Just over a week to go before the exam - could anyone answer these please?

1. Is there a clock in all rooms? Do invigilators give time warnings? eg 5 mins to go?
2. Can students take watches in? Any problems with digital watches?
3. Which paper is first, maths or VR?
4. How many questions approx in total on the English/VR paper? Or how many in an individual short section? The books I have vary so much - are we talking 10 qu in 10 mins? 5 mins? 30 qu in 5 mins etc?! Did students last year feel really short of time or run out of time on the VR?
5. Any other last-minute tips?

Thanks. :)
rosetta

Re: Some last-minute questions about the exam

Post by rosetta »

Just to answer my own questions as I had no replies, for the benefit of future parents:

1. Is there a clock in all rooms? Do invigilators give time warnings? eg 5 mins to go? My son's room had a big clock and the invigilator helpfully wrote the start and finish time on the board.

2. Can students take watches in? Any problems with digital watches? Yes, you can. I got my son a digital watch and it was fine.

3. Which paper is first, maths or VR? [..... Edited by moderator]

4. How many questions approx in total on the English/VR paper? Or how many in an individual short section? The books I have vary so much - are we talking 10 qu in 10 mins? 5 mins? 30 qu in 5 mins etc?! Did students last year feel really short of time or run out of time on the VR?
[...... Edited by moderator]

5. Any other last-minute tips? Kids wear own clothes, not uniform, another thing I was unsure about. All kids from one school seem to be sent to the same centres so that was nice as it meant kids could talk to their friends in the break.
Northdad

Re: Some last-minute questions about the exam

Post by Northdad »

Thanks for the helpful post. However please can we all be careful about publishing any more information about the exams. There are still children who were not well enough, waiting to take the backup day.