Judd and skinners open days

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
page62

Judd and skinners open days

Post by page62 »

Hi
Does anyone know if it's ok to go to the Judd and Skinners open days before results day on Oct 13 if we are an incoming year 7 for Sept. 17?
The reason for the question is we do not let the children know how they've done in the 11+ after they've taken it. However, if we don't visit these schools post 11+ results day it will be obvious he didn't get the marks he hoped to get. So we want to visit all the schools now as we've always said we are in the process of choosing the best school for him and sitting the 11+ just opens up more options.
For what it's worth, our daughter who is currently at a grammar now is so grateful she doesn't know what score she got as it does seem to make some children feel adequate/inadequate relative to their friends depending on what they got. She definitely feels ignorance is bliss!
But I digress, if someone knows if Judd/Skinners are happy to do this I would be grateful. Thabks
kenyancowgirl

Re: Judd and skinners open days

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Not from your area, but if the Open Days there are anything like up here, you just turn up. You don't have to book to go - hence it is always a bit of a bunfight!

Whilst your dd may be happy not knowing how she did, she is coming from a point that she knows she did well enough to get into a GS. So she is happy with the outcome. Boys are different...and you cannot shelter your kids from disappointment forever. If he hasn't scored well enough to get into those schools, you could try being honest and reminding him that he was only sitting the 11+ to widen the options as far as possible - he sat it and now you know what schools you have open to you and he can help you identify which one of those would be the best suited to him. ie actively involve him in the process, thereby making it a positive experience rather than treating him like a mushroom. What if you go to Judd and Skinners and he absolutely adores them - he may believe you are looking at them because he HAS done well enough and then will be disappointed. You must remember that children talk to each other in the playground - they will know that Judd and Skinners are superselectives and require a higher entry passmark.
page62

Post by page62 »

Thank you for the advice and different point of view.
You're right that we can't shelter them from disappointment forever. He has seen other schools with us which he loved so in our case, it's not too much of a concern that he really likes Judd or Skinners as we know he also really liked the others. In reality, in as much as we would listen to him on something very negative, I expect we will make the school choice for him.
I guess my point of view is coloured by the experience of the day with my daughter where children were crying about perfectly good marks (that in the end got them in the schools they want to go to) and this feeling of not being good enough when it was 1 test in their v young lives.
But thanks again for the advice and the info. Both schools do seem to hold open days before results day - just checked so hopefully we can just turn up!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

We went to all our favourite schools in Y4 which gave DD the incentive to study in Y5 for her favourite grammar. Those we didn't get round to in Y4 or wanted to see again we went in Y5. In our area there are so many options you can't fit all the visits in in one year.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

page62...and you are right, you absolutely should make the school choice for him, based on what you know is the best "fit" from the options available! But it is very easy to involve a 10/11 year old in the process and gently steer them so that they feel they have made the choice and therefore take more ownership of the decision! As he has schools he is happy with then that is great - focus on those - a school is after all just a school...it is what your son does when he gets inside that really counts...and I mean really counts. If he works hard and gets involved he will get so much out of it regardless of it not being J or S.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Skinners has always been a "just turn up" open evening and I haven't heard anything to the contrary for this year.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Judd had a day after the results came out but before CAF submission where you could have a look around. Much less crowded than an open evening I would imagine.
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

From what I remember, Judd had time slots last year. We turned up when we could and they gave us a slot for head masters speech and sent us in with a sixth former after a few mins. They managed it beautifully and it did not seem crowded at all.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Ladymuck wrote:Judd had a day after the results came out but before CAF submission where you could have a look around. Much less crowded than an open evening I would imagine.
Is that a 'just turn up' day, though, or a 'qualified potential applicants' day? If the latter and the OP's DS hasn't passed, then he won't be eligible to go on that day and will presumably work out that he hasn't passed, unless the OP doesn't tell him that the opportunity 'is a thing', as DS2 would say - and none of his friends are going

Personally, I can't conceive of not telling ours how they did, good or bad (we have had two of the former and one of the latter). Their exam, their results.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Bronwen

Post by Bronwen »

Hi You can just turn up to the open evening, but I'm pretty sure you need to book online for any of the 3 open mornings. The skinners website will give more details though.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now