CEM comments

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pippi

CEM comments

Post by pippi »

Not sure the headline is really accurate, but a bit surprising (honest!) anyway IMO:
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ged-pupils
Daogroupie

Re: CEM comments

Post by Daogroupie »

Mods can you move this to the CEM section.

I don't find it surprising at all. CEM is the most tutorable format I have ever encountered.

I am really glad to hear they have removed the claim that it identifies natural ability from their promotional material.

I am also not surprised that the prep schools are getting more students in because they can control what they teach their students and so can hijack their syllabus near the exam and fill it with CEM prep.

One of our local prep schools advised parents to go for a pm slot at HBS and called them in for the whole morning to do prep in school before travelling to the exam.

One good thing about CEM is that it rewards students who read. DG
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

Could I also suggest that this be moved to the Buckinghamshire section as so much of it relates to the experiences of the CEM test in that region.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is so important it should go in both. The comments are true of CEM everywhere. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This article has already been posted yesterday or the day before?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

What proportion of Bucks children are not entered for the 11+? I find it hard to believe that there were only 276 year 6s on free school meals in 2014. Or are most Bucks primary schools one form entry, and 'nine classes-worth' in the entire county is actually quite a lot?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

About 12% are withdrawn according to the data I've seen - it will vary from year to year.

There is still a problem with getting parents to claim FSM in a number of schools. Hot meal provision does not exist in all schools yet and a brown bag of sandwiches is not very enticing.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 24#p585524" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now