Buses from Berkhamsted to Chesham Grammar?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Louey

Buses from Berkhamsted to Chesham Grammar?

Post by Louey »

We are just starting on the 11+ journey, hoping to get my son into Chesham grammar. I wondered if anyone knew if there was a bus (school or otherwise) from Berkhamsted to Chesham grammar? We are likely going to move house if we get a place (mainly for my other son who has special needs) and we have been looking at moving to Berkhamsted. But as it is in Herts and Chesham is in Bucks, I don't know how easy it would be to get from there to Chesham grammar. I know the school is at the top of the hill and it would be a fair walk from the town centre. It might change our minds about moving to Berkhamsted as we could potentially move to another area.

I am going to the open evening next week but thought I would ask in case someone knows the answer.
scary mum

Re: Buses from Berkhamsted to Chesham Grammar?

Post by scary mum »

I have Google maps on my phone, I don't know if you have this? You just put the start & finish in and click on bus & it tells you the route. Bucks County Council website woukd tell you if there was a school bus & you could find out at the open evening about private buses.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Do you live close enough to CGS to get a place? They will use your current address for the first allocation.

Bucks transport is here:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... transport/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I doubt that staff will be up to speed on buses - they are there to tell you about the school.
Louey

Post by Louey »

That's the million dollar question Guest. We are approx 11 miles away. We would get in (just) based on previous years catchment areas but I am fully aware they can change from year to year. I will be keeping a close eye on this years figures. My son is currently just starting Yr5.

I've had a look on the bucks county council website and there doesn't seem to be a bus listed from Berkhamsted. Will try the google maps trick and see if that comes up with anything. I've managed to find a bus in the opposite direction - from Chesham to Berko Boys school but that isn't much use!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Did you see the link to http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

You need a plan B in case you are too far away.
Louey

Post by Louey »

I've looked on there but the only bus which comes up (354) doesn't go at the right time of day. It would be very frustrating if there was no bus as it is really quite close to Chesham.

I need a plan B, C and D :?

We are also going to take the SW Herts test (for St Clement Danes) but the competition is pretty fierce for those places. We are tied to being close-ish to Berkhamsted as (in theory) one of my other sons will be going to a special needs school there.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I'm almost certain there is a bus from the school to Berko - probably arranged by the school because there are so many kids from there. Give them a call.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Have you considered moving to Chesham instead? Would your other son's schooling be accessible from there? I know Chesham isn't everyone's cup of tea but I have a soft spot for the town. I would think that house prices might be lower than in Berkhamsted too. Be sure to investigate the quality of upper schools as part of your back up planning.
Louey

Post by Louey »

Sally-Anne - thank you, I will do that. I thought it was odd as based on last year's figures, there seems to be 80+ children from Herts who got a place at Chesham and I would have thought a lot of them come from Berko given its distance.

Anotherdad - I have considered Chesham and haven't ruled it out but it is not my first choice. I need a quick link into London and I know that the trains to Chesham are not as frequent and take longer. I'm currently on the met line, but closer into London so I know its failings. My other son would likely get transport from Chesham to Berko if we got him a place in the school as he is unlikely to be able to travel independently, although I live in hope that might change at some point.

It's all very complicated and there are so many variables that I am trying to work out!!
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

Just asked ds, he said the five children in his Yr8 class from Berko get a school bus.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now