GCSE Maths tutor

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
UmSusu

GCSE Maths tutor

Post by UmSusu »

If anyone can recommend a GCSE tutor in the Birmingham area for maths please PM me with the details and why you recommend them.

DS has tried the usual school support but I thinks he needs some 1-1.
UmSusu
KenR

Re: GCSE Maths tutor

Post by KenR »

UmSusu wrote:If anyone can recommend a GCSE tutor in the Birmingham area for maths please PM me with the details and why you recommend them.

DS has tried the usual school support but I thinks he needs some 1-1.
Have you tried the key Stage4/GCSE Maths material on the Further Maths Support Wesite?
http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/gcse

They have some very good material and if necessary they can provide a list of local regional tutors that you could use if necessary. They can be face to face or online sessions. Normally they cover A Level or Further Maths but I think they would cover GCSE as well:-
http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/fmsp_tuition

I think Guest55 has had a lot of experience of FMSP in Bucks and may be able to advise if the resources would benefit KS4/GCSE students?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are lots of good[free] online resources - why not ask the school what they recommend?
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Thank you KenR and Guest55 - I will follow up the suggestions, and approach the school.

DS seems to have really slipped down in his maths and moved down to the lower sets. He is going to the mentoring classes and tried the school online resources but he is struggling. I think the resources will be great place to start but I would rather have someone really sit down with him and try to identify the areas he needs help most with.
UmSusu
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The school should be able to identify weak areas - it's a standard part of teaching to analyse end of year papers and homework for follow-up work.

Once you know the weaker areas then that might be the time to approach a tutor.

What about a sixth-former? Many school use Year 13s as mentors to younger students - both benefit.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now