OCR maths

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bumblebeez

OCR maths

Post by Bumblebeez »

We need a revision plan for OCR GCSE maths Summer 2017. I've looked at the HegartyMaths and Exam Solutions sites but they seem to be tailored for AQA and Edexcel. Does it matter at this stage?

And can anyone advise about the best way to proceed? DD did well - above average at her GS - until Year 10, when performance plummeted. Should we revise a topic at a time or work across the breadth of the syllabus? I think the former might suit her better to gain momentum and confidence.

Thanks!
Guest55

Re: OCR maths

Post by Guest55 »

The content is broadly the same but the 'flavour' of the papers might be different.

Try the exam board website:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gc ... from-2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are the school recommending a particularly revision book? Often they can get books at reduced prices. A quick 'google' showed OCR Higher revision texts aimed at the new spec.
Bumblebeez

Post by Bumblebeez »

Thanks Guest. I'm making enquiries.
Bumblebeez

Post by Bumblebeez »

Nope, the course isn't OCR at all but AQA 8300. :oops: :roll:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

:lol:

OK so hopefully you have plenty of resources now - good job you found out before you bought anything!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Bumblebeez wrote:We need a revision plan for OCR GCSE maths Summer 2017. I've looked at the HegartyMaths and Exam Solutions sites but they seem to be tailored for AQA and Edexcel. Does it matter at this stage?

And can anyone advise about the best way to proceed? DD did well - above average at her GS - until Year 10, when performance plummeted. Should we revise a topic at a time or work across the breadth of the syllabus? I think the former might suit her better to gain momentum and confidence.

Thanks!
Does her school not offer 'clinic' sessions to help students who are struggling? Has she flagged up with her teacher the areas in which she feels she is having particular problems? (Although more to the point, how come her teacher hasn't noticed?).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Bumblebeez

Post by Bumblebeez »

Does her school not offer 'clinic' sessions to help students who are struggling? Has she flagged up with her teacher the areas in which she feels she is having particular problems? (Although more to the point, how come her teacher hasn't noticed?).
I spoke to her maths teacher today - a new one who has not had her before. I asked about revision sessions. She said there is nothing particular for GCSE, but there is a session, she thinks, when the maths teachers are available at lunch for anyone who wants to come along. She suggested DD bring in her textbook or revision book and that she would indicate which topics have already been covered in Year 10.

I like the look and calm clarity of the Hegarty Maths videos. I'm already enjoying e-learning Spanish and German to keep the children company, and now wish I had the time to do GCSE maths too. Lucky generation to have these resources.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now