Disaster with 11+ exam answering

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Anthony C

Disaster with 11+ exam answering

Post by Anthony C »

Disaster…..

My daughter undertook her 11+ exam yesterday and told us that she had managed to get the questions out of sync with the answer page. She only discovered this at the foot of the answer page and thinks she answered around 30 of the questions incorrectly like this.

The problem occurred when she left out an answer to one question and then moved on, but forgot to leave a gap on the answer sheet.

Obviously she is very distraught and upset by the mistake and I am not sure if there is anything we can do to help rectify the problem..

- Does anyone have any ideas, or help on how we might proceed?
- Is there anyway to contact the invigilator and try to get them to look into it?
ghosty

Re: Disaster with 11+ exam answering

Post by ghosty »

i cant offer any advice but there is a similar discussion earlier which might have some info of use:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 70&t=48011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amber

Post by Amber »

It may not be as bad as you think. One of mine did this a few years back - was about halfway through the paper when he realised and tried to go back and put the answers right. I acted cool when he told me but secretly assumed that was the end of the matter and he wouldn't have achieved a qualifying score. He did. Very comfortably indeed. So while on balance yes I would probably try and report it (we didn't, as I thought it was probably futile, but maybe it isn't), you may be surprised when the results come back.
Anthony C

Post by Anthony C »

Amber wrote:It may not be as bad as you think. One of mine did this a few years back - was about halfway through the paper when he realised and tried to go back and put the answers right. I acted cool when he told me but secretly assumed that was the end of the matter and he wouldn't have achieved a qualifying score. He did. Very comfortably indeed. So while on balance yes I would probably try and report it (we didn't, as I thought it was probably futile, but maybe it isn't), you may be surprised when the results come back.
Thank you for the advice and fingers crossed.
Anthony C

Post by Anthony C »

ghosty wrote:i cant offer any advice but there is a similar discussion earlier which might have some info of use:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 70&t=48011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you and very useful
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Was this in just one section?

If so then if the result is not as you hope it might be worth asking whether you can get a breakdown of section marks. I don't know what Bucks [I'm assuming] will offer but a lower mark in one paper or section might be useful ammunition for review or appeal.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Was this a CEM paper? If so there will have been five sections in the paper with each section clearly marked separately on the answer sheet.

Surely she can only have gone out of sync on one section?

Did you make sure she knew how to use the answer sheet before going into the exam?

Did you explain to her about the role of the invigilator in the exam?

Once she realised she could have put her hand up and asked for help. They might well have give her a blank answer sheet which would have been quicker than having to change all her answers.

I suggest you send a detailed email to the school explaining exactly what happened so your notification is on record should you need to appeal. DG
Anthony C

Post by Anthony C »

Guest55 wrote:Was this in just one section?

If so then if the result is not as you hope it might be worth asking whether you can get a breakdown of section marks. I don't know what Bucks [I'm assuming] will offer but a lower mark in one paper or section might be useful ammunition for review or appeal.
Thanks and will look into getting the breakdown you suggest
Anthony C

Post by Anthony C »

Daogroupie wrote:Was this a CEM paper? If so there will have been five sections in the paper with each section clearly marked separately on the answer sheet.

Surely she can only have gone out of sync on one section?

Did you make sure she knew how to use the answer sheet before going into the exam?

Did you explain to her about the role of the invigilator in the exam?

Once she realised she could have put her hand up and asked for help. They might well have give her a blank answer sheet which would have been quicker than having to change all her answers.

I suggest you send a detailed email to the school explaining exactly what happened so your notification is on record should you need to appeal. DG
It was a CEM paper and was indeed in just one section,[test content removed by Moderator] Unfortunately she didn't realise until it was too late and I think panic set in.

Although we have spoken to the school head, it is a good idea to document by means of the email as you suggest and will follow this up. Thanks
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Had you explained to her the role of the invigilator in the exam?

Apparently there were students this happened to and they put their hand up and were given a blank answer sheet which is a lot quicker than having to change every one. DG