DCHS admissions criteria

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ashberi

DCHS admissions criteria

Post by Ashberi »

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/3963542 ... update.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I understand that you need to be in the catchment area by March of year 5 in order to be eligible to apply for DCHS but looking at the table attached it shows that 17 places were given to children's from Greater London Authoruty. How does that work? Any one have any idea?
ToadMum

Re: DCHS admissions criteria

Post by ToadMum »

Ashberi wrote:http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/3963542 ... update.pdf

I understand that you need to be in the catchment area by March of year 5 in order to be eligible to apply for DCHS but looking at the table attached it shows that 17 places were given to children's from Greater London Authoruty. How does that work? Any one have any idea?
In order to be counted as living in catchment for the school, you have to be living within catchment by that date? I think that you are only considered in the first round of allocations on 1st March if you fulfil that criterion, but are then considered in second and subsequent sounds if you didn't and there are still places available?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Ashberi

Post by Ashberi »

But i though for DCHS you had to be in catchment from March of year 5 as they mention on their website. Isn't that the case?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I'm not sure where you're getting March from? The girls' school deadline is 1st October:
For applications for Year 7 to be considered as in catchment, applicants must be able to provide
evidence of their residency within the catchment continuously from 1st October of the year
preceding admission.
The statement "within catchment" is a misleading one. You need to have moved into catchment (and thereby have the best possible chance of gaining a place) if you are going to move at all by 1st October.

If you are out of catchment, you could still be offered a place depending on distance and demand in any given year. The allocations you refer to in the Greater London area occurred because the school was able to offer places to all catchment children and then some. That is unusual when compared to the historic allocation profile, but it happened because for the 3rd year in a row, the school admitted an additional 30 pupils. That change to the Admission Number (PAN) is now permanent.