LRGS preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mumski

LRGS preparation

Post by Mumski »

Anyone else out there preparing their DS for LRGS. This section seems very quiet but there must be someone out there. My DS is taking the 11+ on 24th Sept. Preparation is going OK but he really needs to speed up, it helps that he liked the school when we visited and wants to go but it looks like these last few weeks are going to be tough.
Dixechick1975

Re: LRGS preparation

Post by Dixechick1975 »

It is very quiet on here.
My daughter is sitting for Clitheroe on 24th. I believe it is the same exam (all 4 grammars in Lancashire are the same day)
GL Maths, English and VR?
Going back to school and the open day this week has made everything seem very real for her and us. We have a few more mock papers to do but trying to keep things fairly low key at the minute. She has worked hard so hopefully it will pay off.
tsl

Post by tsl »

My boy is practising as well for LRGS. I think he needs to read the questions carefully to avoid silly mistake. For time control, he is learning to come back for the tough one, not wasting too much time on one question.
Joobee

Post by Joobee »

Just joined this forum and it's great to find other parents who are going through the same thing. I am helping DS prepare for LRGS but am tearing my hair out atm. I don't think he's got a cat in ****'s chance! I think the admissions secretary once told me that they need very roughly 90% to pass. (I say very roughly as I do understand about standardised scores, lack of a pass mark etc). I wondered if anyone else had heard something similar. DS is getting around 65% on the GL practice papers atm and I'm wondering if it's cruel to continue.
Mumski

Post by Mumski »

Hi Joobee, tsl and dixiechick. Glad to see we aren't the only ones. It seems like we are not the only ones struggling with the concept of missing out the tough questions and coming back to them later. We are getting there slowly and the silly mistakes are not as frequent. However DS is also still only answering about 70% of the questions in the time allowed and hence not able to score high enough. I do wonder though if its just to informal for him to concentrate hard enough when we do them at home and he might perform better in a more unfamiliar environment where he has to concentrate.

I know the Clitheroe test is on the same day Joobee but I didn't know it was the same test. It does seem very real and very soon now. Fingers crossed for all of your DC.

I to have heard that 90% or more is needed but I can't seem to find any confirmation of this. Ds's tutor thinks he is doing OK but I can't see him getting over 90% within the time limit. Whilst he is stronger on the Maths and VR than in English if he can't answer all the questions he won't be able to compensate for a lower English score.

I am also trying not to pile on too much pressure now and rely on the fact that DS has worked hard as he now has school homework to do and he also needs time for his after school activities and chilling out.

Good luck to everyone
funtimes

Post by funtimes »

another one for lrgs. We've just been working through some books and past papers. My son told me his friend didn't get in last year and told him the pass mark was 80%. He's not quite there yet but we are still plodding through past papers etc. needs to speed up exam technique now. we should get letters this week giving details of test day.
tsl

Post by tsl »

90% is too high. :( My son won't get that score! Is this the pass mark for the catchment area? How about the outsider ? Need more than 90%? I don't want to believe that.
I will still encourage him to do it but I will tell him this is not the only way. He can do well in local school. Anyway, hope you are all well and enjoying the learning process. I haven't touched Maths for ages since I left school!
Primrosejo

Post by Primrosejo »

Hi, we were told to aim for 70-80%. But of course it depends on the quality of the year group. If they all get above 80% then they will take the top ones. Mine is getting 85-90% on VR and maths, but 75-80% on English. They have to meet the standard in all 3 papers or they won't accept them, no matter what their combined standardised score is.
Mumski

Post by Mumski »

Primerosejo - other schools may have different criteria but this is what it says on the LRGS website FAQ section

Q. What if my son does very well in one of the papers but less well on another?
A. All three tests are standardised and total scores are looked at, so an under achievement in one
could be compensated by doing well in another paper.

Hope everyone is OK and not feeling to stressed. We are all looking forward to Saturday afternoon when it is all over. :D
Primrosejo

Post by Primrosejo »

Mmm, interesting! But they won't take them if they are under a certain score that they have in mind. My friends daughter came 2nd out if everyone in maths but didn't get high enough in English and so wasn't accepted. They were going to appeal on the maths score, but ended up big doing. I wish there was clearer guidance-it's like trying to get into the secret service! Ah well, we'll all know if a couple if weeks what the outcome is.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now