Bus service from Burnham to BHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Cando_dad

Bus service from Burnham to BHS

Post by Cando_dad »

Hi all

Best wishes to all the parents who are now in the waiting game for the transfer test results. We live close to Lent rise school and considering BHS as one of the option for our DD of course if she passes the test. I have seen mention of a private bus service from Burnham to BHS. Would be grateful to know if this service is still running, commute time, costs, reliability, contacts etc. and how parents are finding the bus travel for their DDs.

Also would be very much interested if the Burnham parents can share their thoughts and criteria for choosing BHS over BGS and if they are happy with their choice.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
An anxious dad :)
Guest55

Re: Bus service from Burnham to BHS

Post by Guest55 »

I'd stick with Burnham GS - it's local and just as good. Your daughter will have local friends too.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

They couldn't be more different as schools, so it very much depends on your DD. My DD went to BGS and would have hated BHS. Others love it. I have to say I don't think it's worth the travel. Mind you, one of the disadvantages of BGS is just how far & wide the pupils come from, which means your DD may not have so many local friends!
scary mum
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

How are they different scarymum: is BHS "pushier" or higher-achieving?

Or is it more that the cachement area is more upper-class for BHS so it has more priveleged pupils?

Intrigued!....
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Well, for a start one is mixed and the other is all girls, which makes for a completely different atmosphere. Apart from the fact that they take their pupils from different geographical areas - I don't like the term upper class, but BGS is certainly in a more affluent area. BGS is more ethnically diverse, I believe. They are just different which is obvious to anyone who visits both and would suit quite different types of girls.
scary mum
drummer

Post by drummer »

I have/have had children at both and I would strongly echo the recommendation to go for your local school. I don't think there will be any difference in academic outcome for any particular child (ie I think you child would do just as well at one as the other) but there is a huge amount to be said for having local friends and the ability to easily participate in all aspects of a school without being entirely dependent on the mum/dad taxi service
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

DD2 is in Y8 at Becky High and travels from Burnham. The bus service has been established some time and is largely reliable. It is run by Ashwood Travel and costs £7 a day - a significant cost to consider vs walking to school. In the Lent Rise area, the bus stops by the double roundabout on Lent Rise Rd and near Bingham Rd on Eastfield Rd. It picks them up about 8am and it is an easy run to BHS with no congestion. After school they are back in the Burnham area around 4pm. There are local girls who go to the school.

My DD2 is happy at Becky High. I would say that there is a good ethnic mix at the school now (my DDs are mixed race themselves). The change to the CEM 11+ has increased the number of pupils travelling from further away for both schools I think, and the ethnicity. DD1 also attended Becky High from Y7 to Y11 but left to attend SWBGS sixth form as she wanted a change. She had, and still has, some lovely friends at BHS.

DD1 chose Becky High as it was the closest local GS that offered drama (BGS did not at the time). DD2 chose to go to Becky High as she wanted to go to an all girls school and liked it from various visits over the years. Both chose the school themselves rather than me influence them.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Jules7 wrote:DD2 is in Y8 at Becky High and travels from Burnham. The bus service has been established some time and is largely reliable. It is run by Ashwood Travel and costs £7 a day - a significant cost to consider vs walking to school. In the Lent Rise area, the bus stops by the double roundabout on Lent Rise Rd and near Bingham Rd on Eastfield Rd. It picks them up about 8am and it is an easy run to BHS with no congestion. After school they are back in the Burnham area around 4pm. There are local girls who go to the school.

My DD2 is happy at Becky High. I would say that there is a good ethnic mix at the school now (my DDs are mixed race themselves). The change to the CEM 11+ has increased the number of pupils travelling from further away for both schools I think, and the ethnicity. DD1 also attended Becky High from Y7 to Y11 but left to attend SWBGS sixth form as she wanted a change. She had, and still has, some lovely friends at BHS.

DD1 chose Becky High as it was the closest local GS that offered drama (BGS did not at the time). DD2 chose to go to Becky High as she wanted to go to an all girls school and liked it from various visits over the years. Both chose the school themselves rather than me influence them.
Does the school manage to get all the GCSE Drama groupwork practices, rehearsals etc done within the school day? DD (as did DS1 at a different local grammar school) has at least one session after school most weeks now she is in year 11, which is okay for us as she catches a train home anyway, but it would be a bit of a pain if she had to rely on a 'one off' bus.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

At BGS they seem to manage it, but ask me again in a few weeks!
scary mum
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

ToadMum wrote:Does the school manage to get all the GCSE Drama groupwork practices, rehearsals etc done within the school day? DD (as did DS1 at a different local grammar school) has at least one session after school most weeks now she is in year 11, which is okay for us as she catches a train home anyway, but it would be a bit of a pain if she had to rely on a 'one off' bus.
Mostly, but nearer the practical assessment dates there are extra which, as you say, can be difficult if relying on parent taxi. Lift shares helped as I am friends with a couple of local Mums whose daughters were also doing drama.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now