Moving to Bucks.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sooperdad77

Moving to Bucks.

Post by sooperdad77 »

Quick question.. We are planning to move to bucks in the month of Dec this year from my current place due to my work. My child has also given the bucks exam and he is expecting to score more than the bucks 121 cut off. So what is the chance that he can get in to one of the bucks grammar school.

Up on reading the admissions guide, it is not possible to get him to the first round of allocations as we will move after the 1st oct deadline. The question is whether they will consider for the further round of allocations? If yes, what will be the criteria?

Please assist.
Aethel

Re: Moving to Bucks.

Post by Aethel »

1) fill in the CAF with the schools you want in genuine order of preference and put in the nearest upper school to your new house at the bottom
So you have a chance Of a backup offer if he doesn't pass: or at least wait until you know his score! Of course we hope he will pass. The actual score doesn't matter as long as it's at or over 121. If he is under you can appeal/go on a wait list providing the grammar is named somewhere on your CAF form. If you're not in Bucks by the end of October deadline you must fill in the CAF for your CURRENT home county, though you can name Bucks schools on it despite being out of area at the moment. However, first round offers will be based on your current address as you say.

2) see where you are moving to, and look at the individual schools's oversubscription criteria (as most grammar schools are almost full
Or full after first round offers according to the figures on this site.
Look at the top of the threads for this region to see the historic distances that schools have offered out to: if your new home is eg 12 miles from SWBS then it's unlikely you'll get a second round offer. It's worth putting down a school you're not crazy for but more lilely to get second round, providing you actually do want them to go there. But think about thr journey etc.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Many children expect to pass. Lots do not, so it's best not to make decisions on the thoughts of a10 year old. I suggest you look at the admission criteria for the schools you are interested in. They will use your address as at October 1st. In the later rounds your new address woukd be used but there may be no places available by then. Also check that you are happy with the local non grammar schools
scary mum
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

As scary mum says, you need a contingency plan. Your son may think he has done enough to qualify, but he has little way of knowing how he has performed with respect to the cohort in what is a standardised process. Don't make life-changing decisions based solely upon your choice of grammar school. The process is incredibly competitive and these forums are full of parents whose children have not qualified, despite strong academic performance and plenty of coaching. You have the added complication of relying upon later rounds of offers should your son qualify.

Make sure you research all the possible school destinations in whichever part of Bucks you are considering moving to.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Bucks is a long thin county with schools up to two hours apart [North to South] in morning traffic. Whereabouts are you looking?

My personal priority would be to make sure your local Upper is good because:

1) your child may not qualify
2) you might not get a GS place near where you live so need a back-up plan

Take a long look at Sally-Anne's historic allocations but, of course, there's no guarantee this year will be similar. You do need to be aware that ALL the GS were full in the first round this year.
Ashberi

Post by Ashberi »

You do need to be aware that ALL the GS were full in the first round this year.[/quote]

I think places were allocated up to the 3rd round this year which was May 12th as mentioned by Sally-Anne.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes but that was ONLY where people gave up places and some distances did not increase.

Look at March 1st - all the schools were full and everyone could have accepted.
sooperdad77

Post by sooperdad77 »

Thanks for your response.
As per the bucks website, to get the GS place, the child should be living in bucks by 1st October and not 31st October . It will be too late now to move.

Is that a possibility to Get a GS place after the October 1st deadline. At least in the second round or 3rd rounds..
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes it is possible but no-one knows where places might become available - hence my suggestion that you ensure you have a good Upper local to you.

Which part of Bucks are you thinking of as we can make suggestions for plan B?
sooperdad77

Post by sooperdad77 »

Thanks guest55. Planning to move near high Wycombe.
Is there anyway to find the no of places allocated after first round with the distance.

I remember seeing it in the old bucks website. But with the beta version, I am not seeing it anymore . Sally's spreadsheet is very useful. But it does not tell the no if places.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now