KECHB Questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

KECHB Questions

Post by 123 »

Hello all, I am a senior student at King Edwards Camp Hill School for Boys and know how stressful this time of year can be :oops: . As such if you have any questions about the school or school life, I can try to answer them questions as honestly as possible. :D
11plus_enthusiast

Re: KECHB Questions

Post by 11plus_enthusiast »

Hi 123,
Congratulations on your success in getting into CHB. My son is expected to get into CHB or KE Startford in 2017.
What would you consider as the best in CHB? Any specific subject specialization? Any specific sport?
How are extra curricular activities? Do you have time to do these?
Do you have inter school competitions (cultural and academic quiz, etc)
Manon

Post by Manon »

Hi 123

Thanks for this opportunity! My son has a few questions:-

Is CHB really not an 'exam factory'? ie it's not all just geared to passing exams
How much homework is there especially in Year 7?
Does it matter if you"re not great at sport? (My son enjoys sport and is enthusiastic, just not that good!)
Does it matter if you've never played rugby before?
What are school lunches like?
Do you enjoy school?

And a couple from me

What time are the pupils allowed into school in the morning and is breakfast available?
Are most of the clubs held at lunchtimes or after school or is it a mix?
Are you allowed to go to the library after school to do your homework - and if so, does this work or does it just turn into a social occasion?!

Thank you, really appreciate your offer.
Manon

Post by Manon »

Sorry, another couple from me! Does the school do transition days towards the end of the summer term before starting in the September? Does it organise anything during the summer holidays prior to starting in the September for the new Y7's to get to know each other?

Thanks again.
mum1115

Post by mum1115 »

My son is in yr 8 at chb so I can help with some of these questions....

There is a transition day in june. When my son went the green bus was free that day for those on induction day which was a great way to try it out, although my son decided on public transport buses when he started in sept to give him some timing flexibility.
At the beginning of the summer holidays chb did an activites week, mostly sport but some art etc. This was great for the children to meet each other.
My son loves sport and has taken part in school teams (he had never played rugby before but is in the A team - there are 4 teams as far as I can tell). There are house competitions in all sorts of stuff sporty or otherwise. Although they don't do football there is a football house tournament.
Homework in yr 7 was very manageable. We/my son had expected loads but it didn't seem much. Sometimes it was to finish off questions he'd been set in lesson but he worked quite diligently in the lesson so ended up with no homework. my son has managed to keep up with all his outside school activities..... although xbox time seems to have diminished! :lol:
Judging from parentpay spending my son has some breakfast in the canteen!

I don't get the impression of it being an exam factory, there are so many extra-curricular activities, mostly at lunchtimes although rugby team practice is after school. I feel from my son the expectation is to put effort in.
Overall my son loves it there.
Last edited by mum1115 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
imranb

Post by imranb »

mum1115 wrote:My son is in yr 8 at chb so I can help with some of these questions....

There is a transition day in june. When my son went the green bus was free that day for those on induction day which was a great way to try it out, although my son decided on public transport buses when he started in sept to give him some timing flexibility.
At the beginning of the summer holidays chb did an activites week, mostly sport but some art etc. This was great for the children to meet each other.
My son loves sport and has taken part in school teams (he had never played rugby before but is in the A team - there are 4 teams as far as I can tell). There are house competitions in all sorts of stuff sporty or otherwise. Although they don't do football there is a football house tournament.
Homework in yr 7 was very manageable. We/my son had expected loads but it didn't seem much. Sometimes it was to finish off questions he'd been set in lesson but he worked quite diligently in the lesson so ended up with no homework.
Judging from parentpay spending my son has some breakfast in the canteen!

I don't get the impression of it being an exam factory, there are so many extra-curricular activities, mostly at lunchtimes although rugby team practice is after school. I feel from my son the expectation is to put effort in.
Overall my son loves it there.
Lovely to read this! :D :D
Manon

Post by Manon »

Sounds promising - thank you. I think we are starting to veer in the direction of CHB...

Post by 123 »

11plus_enthusiast wrote:Hi 123,
Congratulations on your success in getting into CHB. My son is expected to get into CHB or KE Startford in 2017.
What would you consider as the best in CHB? Any specific subject specialization? Any specific sport?
How are extra curricular activities? Do you have time to do these?
Do you have inter school competitions (cultural and academic quiz, etc)
Sorry for the very late reply, I've had lots of work!
To answer your questions...
I think the best part about Camp Hill is the atmosphere and the way the different years in the school don't feel disjointed or separate it is just like one big community.
In Y7-11 there are many opportunities in school for extra curricular activities, an array of different clubs at lunch and after school... In Y12 the extracurricular activities come more focused on running the clubs, for example I aid the running of a Biology Club at lunch times.
There are a few inter school competitions, however most of these are sport relating (rugby, basketball etc.). I believe once a year there is a quiz between KES and CHB but that is about it.

Hope I have helped

Merry Christmas

Post by 123 »

Manon wrote:Hi 123

Thanks for this opportunity! My son has a few questions:-

Is CHB really not an 'exam factory'? ie it's not all just geared to passing exams
How much homework is there especially in Year 7?
Does it matter if you"re not great at sport? (My son enjoys sport and is enthusiastic, just not that good!)
Does it matter if you've never played rugby before?
What are school lunches like?
Do you enjoy school?

And a couple from me

What time are the pupils allowed into school in the morning and is breakfast available?
Are most of the clubs held at lunchtimes or after school or is it a mix?
Are you allowed to go to the library after school to do your homework - and if so, does this work or does it just turn into a social occasion?!

Thank you, really appreciate your offer.
Sorry for the late reply.

I can honestly say that because I have never experienced a 'normal' school the level of work at camp hill has just been the norm. I think that it isn't really an exam factory due to the large number of extra curricular opportunities available.
In Y7 the amount of homework is minimal but it will be a big step up from Junior School.
It doesn't matter if your not the best at sport.
Not at all.
School lunches aren't amazing but they are ok. I prefer to go the high street to eat as I am in 6th Form but younger years aren't allowed.
School is very enjoyable, especially 6th Form

You can get in any time from 7:30 ish but it is very boring if you do so.
Mostly lunchtime, but some after school.
The library is open after school and it is never a social occasion! (lol)

Hope that helped.

Merry Christmas
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now