Advice Please!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Johannah

Advice Please!

Post by Johannah »

Dear All,

I'm looking for guidance and advice. I got my DS's results and he missed the opportunity to go to his perferred school by a few marks. On the day of the test my DS had diarriah but he didnt tell us, he did not know that he can postpone the test if unwell, we just never had an opportunity to explain that to him.

He had to go to the toilet twice, in the break and during the maths test.

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone can advise me on whther we could appeal or retake.

many thanks in advance.

Johannah
Ladymuck

Re: Advice Please!

Post by Ladymuck »

Unfortunately the instructions regarding being unwell are fairly clear. Did he explain to the invigilator that he was unwell? A number of children would have asked to go to the toilet, so that alone wouldn't stand out. If he was unwell enough that it would have affected his performance you would have needed to raise the issue the same day or immediately after.
Johannah

Post by Johannah »

Thank you Ladymuck for your kind response.

the problem is i had no way of knowing he underperformed until the results came out, he could've easily achived in maths way more than what he did. Very unfortunate, he spent good few minutes in the toilet and he used it in the break as well.

I'm hoping on compassionate ground he would be given another chance to prove his ability, the exam day just wasnt his day.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Johannah wrote:Thank you Ladymuck for your kind response.

the problem is i had no way of knowing he underperformed until the results came out, he could've easily achived in maths way more than what he did. Very unfortunate, he spent good few minutes in the toilet and he used it in the break as well.

I'm hoping on compassionate ground he would be given another chance to prove his ability, the exam day just wasnt his day.
He certainly won't be able to resit the exam, if that is what you are hoping? Unfortunately, in presenting him for the exam, you were indicating that he was fit to take it; if he didn't tell you that there was a problem and you didn't notice that there was anything the matter at the time, then to be honest, it is unlikely to have been that significant a factor.

One course of action would be to name the school on your CAF anyway; your DS will be refused a place on the grounds of non-qualification, but you can appeal. You will have the opportunity to provide evidence of your DS's academic ability and to mention anything you feel is relevant as a mitigating factor. However, one has to say that in general only a small percentage of appeals are upheld.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Johannah

Post by Johannah »

Thanks alot for taking the time to respond Toadmum.
Johannah

Post by Johannah »

One last question, if I was to appeal - what would happen about the second stage exam? It would have passed by far. Thanks in advance for taking the time to kindly address my concerns.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

2 stage tests are slightly different :?

As far as appeals are concerned it is only possible to appeal in March against not being offered a school place you have applied for, and there is no mention of being able to appeal to be allowed to sit the next stage of an exam.
DIYdad

Post by DIYdad »

Johannah wrote:Dear All,

I'm looking for guidance and advice. I got my DS's results and he missed the opportunity to go to his perferred school by a few marks. On the day of the test my DS had diarriah but he didnt tell us, he did not know that he can postpone the test if unwell, we just never had an opportunity to explain that to him.

He had to go to the toilet twice, in the break and during the maths test.

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone can advise me on whther we could appeal or retake.

many thanks in advance.

Johannah
Johannah - don't mistake me. Unfortunately, this was attempted by an acquaintance last year - in their case, it was rumoured to be fake and they were trying to cheat the system just because their son didn't do well. And rightly, the school rejected their appeal.