How much homework?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

K76

How much homework?

Post by K76 »

Hi,

I was wondering how much homework a child should be getting from a tuition centre or private tutor? I know different children are doing things but I have heard of some children doing at least 1-2 hours a day and sometimes up to 4 hours. Is this the norm? I am worried because my DD doesn't do that much :(
K76

Re: How much homework?

Post by K76 »

I found a similar question asked on here ages ago but that was not Bucks specific and also from reading the comments it looked like the Bucks test was different back then...
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Personally I think 1-2 hours is excessive and 4 obscene!! If you're drilling a child that much to pass the test how will they cope at school - plus they're kids they need to be outside / have fun etc. My children did a couple of hours a week max.
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Surely you mean 4 hours of homework a week not 4 hours a day?

I think 4 hours of homework a week from a Tutor/Tuition company is excessive as well.

If I remember rightly my son had about 60 minutes of homework per work-90 minutes max.

However, I would like to add that this was under the "old" 11+ and I know there is more to cover now but I think two hours of homework per work is acceptable.
K76

Post by K76 »

Thank you Kittymum! You have put my mind at rest. I know the local tuition centres are saying they give one hour homework a night but my DD has a one to one tutor who sets her about one hour homework a weekShe does about 10-15 minutes each day. I don't know if that will increase as time goes on though.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Ultimately it is quality not quantity that counts.
K76

Post by K76 »

2littleboys wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Surely you mean 4 hours of homework a week not 4 hours a day?
Well I am not sure if this is supposed to be on a school day or during the holidays but a couple people have said their kids do 4 hours a day to me now.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

OH MY GOODNESS :shock: :shock: :shock:

How on earth can they get their children to sit down for so long? And to actually do the work? Currently we are struggling with the school homework, let alone any 11+ prep!
Louey

Post by Louey »

Our tutor is recommending 40 mins per day split over different types of exercises. She sets 4-5 tasks per week. I think over the course of the week he is probably doing 2 hours. Maths he does very quickly. Comprehension questions take him longer. It is a lot and I am feeling quite sorry for him as he has school homework as well and is supposed to be practising violin/piano (although it is being neglected). We took him to CGS last week for the open evening and that has helped him to understand why he is doing it.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Louey, how do you fit in 40mins per day? I'm guessing that you do not work?

I work and my son attends afterschool club. We don't get home till 6pm most days :(