Online practice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

thirdtimemum

Online practice

Post by thirdtimemum »

Oh my goodness I can't believe I am putting myself through this again! DS has just started at BVGS and we are now starting the slog with DD in yr 5. Having learnt a lot from the first time round we are taking a more laid back approach this year. DD has a different tutor although is getting far less homework that DS had so I am looking st using online sources as I think she will find 10 mins of that a day easier than using the books. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to which are the best? I see bond have a monthly subscription at £5.99 which looks ok but it doesn't say it is specifically for cem.
Petitpois

Re: Online practice

Post by Petitpois »

In the same boat. DD2 much much harder work than DD1. in my down moments I sometimes wonder whether the 11+ is one rather elaborate personality test, with a minor link to accurately answering enough questions in the allotted time.

Don't intend to knock DD1's academic ability, she was always very good, but its is a totally different challenge with DD2.

I thought I knew what I was doing because I managed to get one through, till we started with the second one!!
guest201

Post by guest201 »

My DS used the online program from the big tutoring centre in Shirley. In theory they send you a piece of work each day that you complete, in practise they sent him a piece of work each day which he did when he felt like it, the pieces are timed and when the time is up you can't do any more questions. It was good for getting speed up as they are working against the clock the first level that they start on was quite easy if I remember rightly but as they move up the levels the questions got tough as did the timing.
Newbiee

Post by Newbiee »

Firsttimemum wrote:Oh my goodness I can't believe I am putting myself through this again! DS has just started at BVGS and we are now starting the slog with DD in yr 5. Having learnt a lot from the first time round we are taking a more laid back approach this year. DD has a different tutor although is getting far less homework that DS had so I am looking st using online sources as I think she will find 10 mins of that a day easier than using the books. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to which are the best? I see bond have a monthly subscription at £5.99 which looks ok but it doesn't say it is specifically for cem.
We have used Bond online for our DD who took the exam this year. We took annual subscription. Bond has got CEM sections as well. We quite liked Bond but there are few drawbacks as well..like in cloze question or missing words section there may be 4 missing words in one question if you get 1 wrong it marks the entire question wrong...so in Maths questions as well..My dd found it quite frustrating :x that she wasn't getting good percentage. I had to explain to her that is doesn't matter and this is only for her practice :roll: .
Hope this helps
Best of luck
mum1115

Post by mum1115 »

I would try the free week etc of several different ones to see which your child feels able to engage with.
DS (1st time for us on the 11+ journey) liked 11 plus diy online which was great as you could do as much as you wanted, it wasn't a 1 a day test. Plus from memory you could add the work you'd like them to do. So if weaker in 1 area you could add more of those types of tests.

DD (just waiting for results now!) hated that website and liked bond.

She found the big shirley one frustrating
Manon

Post by Manon »

DS used the Shirley one - don't know successful it was as we're still awaiting results! There were one or two frustrating things about it - sometimes the questions were slow to load and you couldn't practise what they advocate ie do the easy ones first and go back to the harder ones but I guess that's a problem of online tests. On the whole though, ds found it very helpful and rather enjoyed doing the tests (he didn't do them on a daily basis either, just as and when he could). He didn't start doing them until the beginning of May so he did 4 1/2 months worth. The tests do get harder and longer as time passes. It shows you how to approach the ones you got wrong which was helpful. They also have a points system,so you can get 1, 2 or 3 points depending on your marks and then can cash these in for rewards as an extra little incentive - kept ds going towards the end,as he had decided what he wanted and was determined to get the points he needed for it!
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

Thanks all, I'll have at look at all those mentioned. Glad it's not just me pp, DD is a completely different ball game and although she is very bright she is dyslexic and struggled with some things. I'm hoping online activities may help her along and encourage her.
Smudger

Post by Smudger »

Manon wrote:you couldn't practise what they advocate ie do the easy ones first and go back to the harder ones
Unless things have changed recently, you can leave questions and go back to them if you have time.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now