Travel to Newstead from southeast London

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loaf33

Travel to Newstead from southeast London

Post by loaf33 »

Hi all

Am looking for advice on travel to Newstead from Nunhead in sunny southeast London. We fall in the far reaches of catchment area and decided to give the exam a go. Obvs no idea if she will have got through, but she loved the school.

Does anyone know if there are any school buses from up our way? I guess it will have to be a train job but any thoughts gratefully received.

thanks
PettswoodFiona

Re: Travel to Newstead from southeast London

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Well us in Orpington often consider ourselves sunny SE London too. :D There are coaches but not from your way that I can see unless the new coach from Greenwhich starts anywhere near you.: http://www.newsteadwood.bromley.sch.uk/ ... mation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many get the train and I can't see you can get a direct train to Orpington from Nunhead at that time of day so it is 40 minutes on the train plus the 15 minutes walk from the station to the school plus your journey from home to the station so you are looking at a big chunk of travelling every day. If you are anywhere near West Dulwich it may be a more direct and quicker journey from there. As you aren't far from Dulwich I gather there is a forum called the East Dulwich Forum which has a lot of local knowledge so possibly worth trying there too. DD loves the school but it is on our doorstep so was a very easy decision.
loaf33

Post by loaf33 »

Thanks so much Pettswoodfiona. Haha, wasn't meaning to cause any offence re southeast London - am obvs a typical townie!! :lol:

Yes, I have been on the ED forum. Not found much mention but will maybe post when we see what the dreaded results turn up.

Quick questions tho: the cutoff scores they send with the results, are they the final cutoff scores once all the post offer-day movement has occurred, or are they the cutoffs as they were on the past March offer days? And am I right in thinking that you don't get a ranking. (Sorry my brain is approaching meltdown with all the different schools and criteria!)

And one final thing - how much homework is your daughter getting a night, and does it all have to be in the next day?

Thanks for you advice and help. Back to idly studying train timetables...
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

The cut-off scores for past years given are those upto the start of September. So on my letter last year for example it said 'Based on historical experiences, with earlier cohorts, for an intake of 160 pupils the cut-off score would have been in the region of 218-220'. On offer day I believe the safe score was 225, but I think I saw someone on this forum got in with 224 on offer day or a few days afterwards.

You are right, you don't get a ranking. Most years the cut-off has been pretty consistent but you never know that a year where a lot sit the exam (I gather it was a record number this year...), a lot want Newstead as first choice and a lot do really well it could push the score required for a place up.

I've had a lot of questions about homework via PM so it is good to put it out here. DD isn't finding it tough at all. Probably about 45 minutes an evening on average plus an hour to an hour and a half at the weekend, some evenings there isn't any, others there is more, you could spread it out as it is rarely due in the next day but DD likes to do it the evening it is set. DD actually wrote too much for one piece of homework and was told that for future to just do the amount that the guidelines gave so they are working the girls but also trying to prevent them doing too much. I think a lot of the girls are naturally competitive, but they are also very kind to each other. On the day before the open day the school closed early and half of DD's class when to a cafe and had crepes and puddings, they have gelled really well.