11+ Fail / Grammar test pass

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MrsRats

11+ Fail / Grammar test pass

Post by MrsRats »

I have just found out that my daughter didn't pass the 11+ due to her maths score but got a great score for her english. We received a welcome letter from the allocated school on Saturday (although it was a school that we didn't list on the application form). She took and has passed the Grammar test (Dover). We have been told by the Grammar School that the criteria is based on whether you have a sibling at the school (she doesn't) and also where you live (we live approx 6 miles from the town). Has anyone found themselves in this situation and been lucky enough to get a place at the Grammar?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

My friends son failed 11+ but gained a place at Dover Boys because of the Dover Test. Has she been allocated a place at Dover Girls then?

It's supposed to be a good school

:0)
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I am very perplexed by Mrs Rats question. If it is the Dover Grammar school that she has been offered a place at, why would you sit the Dover test but not put it on your form?
MrsRats

Post by MrsRats »

I put DGG as my first choice on the form, then Manwoods and Sandwich Tech. But on Saturday we received a welcome pack from Archers Court - which made for a very stressful weekend. Does this mean she is going to Archers Court even though she passed the Dover test. We still haven't had the results through the post yet!!!
c'est la vie

Post by c'est la vie »

MrsRats wrote:I put DGG as my first choice on the form, then Manwoods and Sandwich Tech. But on Saturday we received a welcome pack from Archers Court - which made for a very stressful weekend. Does this mean she is going to Archers Court even though she passed the Dover test. We still haven't had the results through the post yet!!!
Very strange! And why a 'welcome pack' before Results Day? :?

By now, things should be clearer. Let us know how it pans it.
MrsRats

Post by MrsRats »

The letter has arrived and it shows no scores (advised to get these from primary school) and it mentions nothing of the Dover test, which her primary school have told us she passed. A place has been allocated at the nearest secondary school and I didn't put this on the application form. What is going on!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

soounds like you need to get on the phone Mrs R!!!

is it poss that Dover is oversubscribed and you are too far away ... sorry knowledge of Lent a little limited.
:oops:
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I presume that you were really unlucky, and that all three schools on your Kent CAF were oversubscribed and have filled up with people who live closer to the schools concerned than you. You have not been offered another Kent grammar school as your daughter did not pass the Kent 11+.

Once you have the Kent 11+ scores (from your primary school - you need to ask) and the Dover scores (from either your primary school or Dover I do not know which) you will be able to see if it is worth appealing.

You need to go on waiting lists as well if you are not happy with the school you have been offered. See the rules in the Secondary Schools admission booklet and phone the admissions section at KCC about anything you are unsure of.
MrsRats

Post by MrsRats »

We're going to appeal her results are NVR 116; VR 128; Math 97; I know the maths isn't good but her SATs where 5; 5; 4b! Does anyone have any thoughts?
hooter

Post by hooter »

My daughter's results were VR 135 , NVR 138 and Maths 104. I WILL NOT BE APPEALING.

There comes a time when you have to accept the rules as they are set out. If they are not good enough to be accepted at Grammar then you have to accept it.