KES exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

crazycrofter

KES exam

Post by crazycrofter »

Just wondered who's got boys taking this on Saturday?

We've got a very reluctant taker! I was wondering what the verbal reasoning is like? Will it be similar to the VR on the 11 plus or will it be old style with alphabet codes and the like?

Also, I'm sure when my daughter took KEHS, I was told that the VR test was only looked at in borderline cases, so I stopped worrying, as we needed an AP so I knew if she was borderline she wouldn't be in the running for one anyway. Is this also the case for KES?
Petitpois

Re: KES exam

Post by Petitpois »

Don't know how accurate this is but DD compared the verbal stuff on the KEHS exam to the reading SATs paper for 2016. That reading paper on the SAT this year was pretty hard stuff for many. I think you could drop quite a few points on that and still get a perfect 120 score. Not particularly comparing the two things, but I suspect any child that reads avidly and regularly won't have a problem.

I think the general advice for the indies exams had been to practice some creative writing, but in the main apart of a couple of test papers we did very little for either and they were both nice to haves.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Another reluctant taker here. His first choice is KES with his brother but he doesn't want to do the exam. I am not sure how that would work! It has been so difficult to get him to prepare for this after the KEGS exam.

I don't know what the SATS paper are like to compare but the VR element of the exam is like the traditional GL Assessment papers. I think the key will be the creative writing for most state school children as this is the thing they are least likely to have had a lot of practice with.

I can see the sense in KES bringing the exam forward and it will be good to get them out of the way and enjoy the rest of the year but at least they used to have a chance to have a break from exams before they did the prep for the Indies.

Well, at least it has kept me out of trouble in the run up to results :D
UmSusu
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

I know, I was gutted that they brought it forward as we needed the time to prepare for the creative writing element! But actually, we'll all be glad when it's over.

My son's creative writing really is bad, I can't see he's got any hope of getting the AP that we would need. I just didn't want him to turn round in years to come and accuse us of having so little faith in him we never gave him the chance! (which is what happened to one of my siblings!). And who knows, maybe he'll find some inspiration on the day... or his maths will be amazing.

How do you rate the school UmSusu?
um

Post by um »

It will be interesting to see - now that the exam is a term earlier -whether it is set at an easier level.

I was surprised that KEHS (exam this Friday) have said that results will be posted 'before Christmas'.
That is a very long time to wait, compared to their usual quite quick turnaround.

The KES exam is Saturday but I cannot find information on when their results will be posted.
veryhopeful

Post by veryhopeful »

DD2 is sitting for KEHS exam this Friday, we have received a letter from KEHS saying the results will be posted by 1st Dec. There are around 700 girls taking the exam this year which is obvious from the candidate number with possible pickup time and place.

When my DD1 took exam few years ago (2011) there were around 500 girls taking the exam.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

I guess that's what they were hoping for - more sitters due to not having the results of the 11 plus yet. My daughter took the test two years ago and there were 550 so that's a big increase.

KES results will be received by 9th December!! I guess there's no rush for them now. They always liked to give offers before 1st March, which they still can do but they can take their time to decide.

I wonder if they think children/parents will become more attached to KES/KEHS if they have their offers for longer before 1st March?
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

They used to turn the results around in 6 weeks and make offers, this time they will be taking 8 working weeks - taking into account half-term. They usually had around 550-600 applicants though and this time they have 900 :shock:

I guess it has worked out for them in that sense as the uncertainty of the KEGS results has meant more people will be sitting the exam. I agree crazycrofter, a place at KES might be harder to let go of after they have been sat on for a while - they certainly are making it harder for parents.

In terms of my experience with DS, I can't fault the school as they have been so approachable and quick to respond to issues - even at weekends! Although I do wish that ever-so-keen Shell that joined would make the most of all those activities he wanted to join the school for instead of taking them all for granted and opting for football most lunchtimes instead!
UmSusu
mum1115

Post by mum1115 »

My DD is sitting KEHS this fri.
She's completely downed tools since the grammer test so with it being a different style test I'm not really sure how well it's all going to go!
With DS I must admit it was easier with the KES exam being later. He was adament he preferred CHB so when we received his score we decided with him not to register and sit the exam for KES.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Good luck mum1115 and to everyone else whose children are sitting the exams.It gets tougher each year.In 2006 when my eldest dd sat the KEHS exams if my memory is correct there were around 350 girls who sat the exam for 78 places.Then there was one scholarship on offer which was divided up to an eighth for 8 girls and there were limited bursaries.This year there are a few extra places but up to 18 music and academic scholarships of between 10% and 50% and or combined with up to 35 bursaries.For the high standard of schooling on offer there is clearly a greater demand and therefore the academic abilities of the girls getting places must be higher.Having said that in 2005 the school was the Sunday times school of the year in the parent power magazine and I recall many more parents wanted their daughter to attend the school as a result.
KEHS and KES are very good schools but if you are lucky enough to get a choice and the finances work out as parents you have to decide where your child will be happiest and where is the best fit for them.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now