The Land of the Fa**ies

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
quasimodo

The Land of the Fa**ies

Post by quasimodo »

It was announced yesterday that "Burger king" are going to be doing home deliveries in our area.Its one of the headlines in our local evening paper.In a recent survey two thirds of adults in the Walsall area were found to be overweight or obese.Some one recently tongue in cheek put a sign in their garden "Welcome to Walsall the land of the fa**ies".

Tonight Panorama are doing a programme on "diabetes the hidden killer" the disease is now in young children.

We seem to be famous for the wrong things (depending on your point of view).One of the highest voting brexit areas.Some of the worst achieving state secondary schools in the country.Nearby Wolverhampton was recently voted in one survey as the worst place to live in the country.Why then do I enjoy living in the area ?

Two of my vices the love of good food and alcohol have contributed to myself being a representative example of the area.To give up either might mean giving up all meaningful existence despite the well meaning souls.I know we have not yet gone the way of the USA where a lot of the times it comes as a huge shock to see the size of the portions presented we are however the fat man of Europe.I do battle against overweight by meaningful excercise in this losing battle.We do however need to get it right with our children for their sake.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/P ... he-UK.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Yamin151

Re: The Land of the Fa**ies

Post by Yamin151 »

It is indeed a dreadful set of statistics for this country. As you say, it is something that has been marching its way amongst adults for years, and in a way you can say that is personal choice . However, for a child to grow up that overweight does seem to present questions about parental responsibility. Though having said that, I am learning the hard way not to judge about anything parents wise!

I do wish, as a country, we could stop with the faddy diets of no carbs/no wheat/no this/no that and realise that its perfectly simple

Take in 2000 calories, you have to use up 2000 calories. It may be totally unfair that in some people they use up those 2000 calories so much more easily than someone else, but it is still a simple sum. And one that seems to be best served by an "everything in moderation" diet, rather than denial of any particular food group.

And don't get me started on 'clean' eating. What a terrible term!!

Will watch documentary with interest
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Quasi, when I read the title of your thread, I thought you were referring to the fairies! :lol: :lol: What a surpirse to read about Burger King & companies! :wink:
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... den-killer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The link to the Panorama programme filmed in Birmingham and in Walsall when the charity Diabetes UK were trying to do the Diabetes type 2 checks in the town center.

It was quite horrifying seeing some of the amputations and when one appreciates the disease is caused by bad diet and lack of exercise and what it can lead to in terms of complications.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
mystery

Post by mystery »

I have fond memories of Walsall and the winter lighting in the arboretum. Send it my love.

Just a few meaningless anecdotes on the subject of fatties, thinnies etc.

There is certainly nothing to gloat about for thinnies. There are some mysteries to it. As a child and young person I used to eat a lot of calories compared with most but remained thin. And I was not doing more exercise than most. So that was always a little mysterious.

My father's side of the family were fatties for generations but no diabetes. It was a Mediterranean diet.

One of my children has a high degree of choice over her diet, how much she eats and when. She does not always pick healthy I am afraid. She is below the 5 th centile for b m I. Occasionally medics think either I am starving her or that she has anorexia. Neither could be further than the truth.

I know someone who looked after a child with prader Willi syndrome - one symptom is a permanent and insatiable appetite for anything.

One day I think we will find this whole area of appetite and what you get out of your food is way more complicated than the science we know at the moment.

But yes, McDonald deliveries do seem a shame. And there are a few things they could do which would so easily cut the calories etc without changing the concept and the low cost.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

May I just add, as a native of "America" that always gets a mention when obesity is discussed- and yes indeed there are very fat as well as very thin members of my extended family-the portion sizes are traditionally indeed very large in restaurants-this practice dates back hundreds of years in fact. However, it is ASSUMED by many waiting staff when I go out there, that we will be taking a "doggy bag" home-they often come to the table with containers unasked. These are not for a dog! :roll: most people I know go out to eat fully expecting not to have to cook for TWO days, not just one evening. If you are a traveller staying in a hotel, you will likely not want to take this leftover food with you, but be aware locals consider it part of the experience. My husband (not US born) is always mortified by this doggy bag stuff.

The reason many people are so fat is also to do with the long-ago destruction of the public transport systems in many cities, as a result they drive everywhere.

It is also very noticeable to me that there are no children anymore in my old hometown to be seen outside playing or walking around-they exist but are all indoors on computer games 24/7.

Beware Britain-you are on a very steep and similar slope indeed with your own society.

And Brits smoke a lot more too-horrendous!!!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

We are big doggy bag consumers and sometimes order more so we can have another meal on it at home the next day.

I think many parents do try. I am always pleased to see children in buggies with little tupperwares of fruit instead of crisps. DG
ginx

Post by ginx »

I can't deny the kids do eat MacD's as treats - all four dc had one post eleven plus. :(

They are becoming a little skeptical in their age, though. They truly believe nuggets are chickens eyeballs and remember a photo in the Sunday times supplement years ago of a "mud mountain" that was apparently beef. :shock:

They still eat nuggets and chips, though.

I have a diabetic daughter with an eating disorder, she now won't eat MacD's and eats just fruit instead. How I wish she would eat anything, even junk food.

At school, dc are mostly thin when they are at primary school age. I feel so sorry for obese children. We know one who already uses a stick (I guess her hips may cause her pain) and walking looks difficult. Her mother is the same. When we went to look round a museum with Brownies, all she wanted to do was eat MacD's. It's sad.

And remember it is obesity and life style that contribute to Diabetes Type 2, not Type 1 - my dd and all of us get upset and angry when people are surprised she is thin when she has diabetes - type 1.

My dc are also surprised when they go to friends' houses, their friends eat more than we do. Maybe my kids are thin because I underfeed them. We will not be ordering MacD's or any other junk food. But I'm sure we will continue to eat them - as a treat and not often.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now