Maths websites for Year 5 basic maths skills

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
punkeson

Maths websites for Year 5 basic maths skills

Post by punkeson »

Hi all
My middle dd is in Year 5 and I am starting to put together plans for diy tutoring her for her Kent Test in September 2017.
She is where she should be in maths at school, she knows all her times tables at quick speed, but struggles with confidence in other areas of maths.
I think going over basic maths skills would be a good start for her at home. Can anyone recommend a website that I can use to teach myself the methods they are using at school? I don't want to interfer and teach her different methods to what she is learning at school.
grgygirl

Re: Maths websites for Year 5 basic maths skills

Post by grgygirl »

BBC Bitesize maybe?
PDDad

Post by PDDad »

I found URBrainy has great worksheets for a DIYer to build basics (I think you can do some of their stuff online but i might be confusing it with SchoolRun).
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would get your child to show you how she would tackle the problems. Each school will stress different things so a website won't really help.

Do the school have a maths policy or run information evenings? If not, then perhaps you could suggest it?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The school may have a calculation policy, I know ours does. You could look on their website and if not ask at school, especially if you explain that you want to make sure you are both working t eh same way.

As G55 has already said, get her to explain what she is doing. Often, having to explain and put into words how you have approached a problem, helps clarify it. I often ask children in my intervention groups how they worked something out and they quite like doing it
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now