Marling admissions second chance

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Zebrafrenzy74

Marling admissions second chance

Post by Zebrafrenzy74 »

My DS hasn't got in this time but I have heard that they can try again around Easter time to still get it for 2017. Does anyone know what the process is please?
geocachers

Re: Marling admissions second chance

Post by geocachers »

I don't think you have read your letter properly. If your son got 181 you can be as sure as you can be that he is in! The last place went to rank 344 last year. Congratulations!
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

Agree with geocachers, if you put Marling first on the CAF form, it is highly likely your son will have a place. Remember to put it first as this will also register your interest and put you on a waiting list if the unlikely situation arose that all 180 boys ahead put and accept Marling first.
Although you will be 'in limbo' until March, (for the final school placements) you are in a pretty good position. Well done - go and celebrate!
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

You have a very good rank and are pretty much certain of a place.

Last year Marling took boys all the way down to rank 344.

Don't forget that lots of the boys shared their results with Marling, but will chose another school.
Zebrafrenzy74

Post by Zebrafrenzy74 »

It's so confusing cause the email said that DS hasn't met the qualifying standard.

It says that DS was 182 places below the last qualifying rank position for Marling.

How can I start the process for attempting the second test around Easter time, I know others who have done it and still got in.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Zebrafrenzy74 wrote:It's so confusing cause the email said that DS hasn't met the qualifying standard.

It says that DS was 182 places below the last qualifying rank position for Marling.

How can I start the process for attempting the second test around Easter time, I know others who have done it and still got in.

The only test that takes place later is for people moving into the area - unfortunately you can't take the test again.
cazien

Post by cazien »

Zebrafrenzy74 wrote:It's so confusing cause the email said that DS hasn't met the qualifying standard.

Your DS cannot take the test again. If he has not received a ranking you cannot apply for a place but you could appeal. You will have to provide substantial academic evidence in your appeal. Look at the appeals section on this forum.

Marling (and every other Grammar) rank the highest qualifying pupils. Those who have not received a rank did not do as well as the others who sat the test. The schools have to set a limit for rankings as there are limited numbers of places available.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I think we have all been understanding you as saying that your DS was ranked 182 for Marling - what does the letter say, exactly? If it actually includes the phrase 'failed to meet the required standard', then the advice people are giving you here isn't correct...

If you want to appeal, you have to name Marling on your CAF. If your DS didn't qualify for a place, if will be turned down on the grounds of non-qualification and you will be provided with the information regarding how to appeal. If you don't actually name the school on your CAF, you have not actually applied for a place. At the moment all that gap happened is that your DS's suitability for being considered for admission to the school has been assessed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Zebrafrenzy74

Post by Zebrafrenzy74 »

Thank you :)