Format for English Exam for Indies

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lovinmum

Format for English Exam for Indies

Post by lovinmum »

Hello
My Ds sitting for North West London Indies exams and we are getting her to practice comprehension and creative writing from past papers.
I noticed that HABs boys have often 2 writing tasks one being a picture given and they need to explain it in their own words about it and what they see. Do the HABS girls have same format or is it comprehension with continuation or story extension? What about NLCS we are writing 3 papers HABS,NLCS, CLSG. NLCS is closest to us about 2 miles however I am given to understand that their English is high end compared to others?
Any input on the format would be of great help. We are preparing at home and aim to write to 2-3 papers/essay a week. Is that sufficient?
Her grammar, spelling is good however we need to practice on her timing and thinking through the plots etc.
thanks in advance for your help.

Loving mum
Daogroupie

Re: Format for English Exam for Indies

Post by Daogroupie »

It is not the amount of papers you do but how much she learns from the marking of them.

Arlington Park is a case in point. Unless you understand the layers in this text then the paper is not being marked properly.

Habs girls change their format every year just like HBS. But any student who has prepared for DAO or the second round of HBS will have no problems getting a high enough score for an interview.

City is just continuing to use the North London Consortium format which is very stuctured and easy to follow.

NLCS have used the same format in the two years they have been out of the Consortium but they do not interview as many girls and City and Habs.

Again any student who has been preparing for HBS and DAO will have no problem with these formats. DG
grgygirl

Re: Format for English Exam for Indies

Post by grgygirl »

Can anyone provide a link please to the Arlington Park paper? I can't find it.