Tiffin boy waiting list 2008

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
geling

Tiffin boy waiting list 2008

Post by geling »

:oops: :oops: My son is in Tiffin's waiting list 25, 2008 this year .Anybody knows when can we likely to get the offer? With thanks. I have to cancle my pre-booked holiday in order to wait the up dated news from Tiffin, oh, frustrating, sad and down.... Any previous parents who got the similar situation as me? If they do offer you a place from the waiting list, how many days later do Tiffin need you answer ? Even though we failed, i offer my congratulations to the parents who got the Tiffin offer on the 1st around.
Louise2

Post by Louise2 »

Sorry to hear your news we were on the waiting list for the girls last year, the boys list does move quicker. It shouldn't be necessary to cancel a pre booked holiday as no-one really knows how the list will move this year. At 25 you are in with a good chance they went down to 32 last year. in previous years they have gone way past that. You get two weeks to reply once you get an offer.
abitstressed

Post by abitstressed »

Did you get a letter confirming your son's position on waiting list today?? I am at work and as yet haven't got the result. It would be great to know today that if he's not in I'll at least know whether he has a chance.
geling

Post by geling »

[quote="abitstressed"]Did you get a letter confirming your son's position on waiting list today?? I am at work and as yet haven't got the result. It would be great to know today that if he's not in I'll at least know whether he has a chance.[/quote] yes, i got the letter from Tiffin this morning, March 4, 08. Any more parents got the tiffin news?
geling

Post by geling »

[quote="Louise2"]Sorry to hear your news we were on the waiting list for the girls last year, the boys list does move quicker. It shouldn't be necessary to cancel a pre booked holiday as no-one really knows how the list will move this year. At 25 you are in with a good chance they went down to 32 last year. in previous years they have gone way past that. You get two weeks to reply once you get an offer.[/quote]

thanks Louise2, is it only down 32? or usually 70 or so? Thanks for your reply.
oesmugso

The waiting game!!

Post by oesmugso »

Hopefully some useful information here for someone.

My son went to bed crying last night as my wife discovered (by logging on c.9.00pm last night 3rd Mar 2008 ) that he had failed the Tiffins entrance exam.We had expected him to scrape through at least as he had been vying for top spot at one of ******groups that he attended for almost a year. I do have an important tip (I think at least!) – namely candidates should be deliberately shocked a few times during practice tests by including some “non-doableâ€
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

I remember last year that the number who were offered more than one place and hence gave up a place at a school was much lower than in previous years with the introduction of the CAF. The CAF meant that every child was only offered ONE place (at least that was the theory).
If this in fact happened only those who applied and been succesful at independent schools will have places to give up.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

just looked at last years posts - looked like 224 were the first on the waiting list and they offered down to 221.

Is that right ?
SunlampVexesEel

Re: The waiting game!!

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

oesmugso wrote:Anybody know the numbers of additional places offered in 2007 and 2006?
If you read the Kingston site you will see that the previous year 33 places were offered after the initial allocation. It was even larger in years before although those are now probably too historical to give an indication.

So a small number of people will not necessarily take up their place... maybe they have an amazing scholarship somewhere else or maybe they live a totally crazy distance away.

There will be movement but as Louise2 reported last year it is a slow process.

Hang in there

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
oesmugso

Post by oesmugso »

SVE (Eleven Plus Exam ?) & Hermann, thanks for the info – much appreciated. I’ve also been going through last years posts.

One thing I am convinced on is that the system in place now (of only one offer per person) was already effective last year. People have got confused because some schools were in the habit of sending out letters to the effect: “We are sorry to learn that you’ve accepted as offer elsewhere as we would have loved to have your child hereâ€
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now