Multi cooker/pressure cooker advice...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mike1880

Multi cooker/pressure cooker advice...

Post by mike1880 »

Our 20-ish year old pressure cooker has given up the ghost (washers on safety valves cracked so it won't hold pressure and parts are no longer available :( ), we need to make Christmas puddings soon so I'm looking at replacing it.

My gut instinct is to find a basic pressure cooker from a reputable name but I keep hearing the siren call of the multicookers when I go anywhere near Amazon even though we'd probably never use more than 2 functions and there seems a lot to go wrong compared to a nice simple chunk of metal with a few valves. You lot are totally on top of this kind of thing, what are your opinions? We obviously won't get 20 years out of a multicooker and they're easily double the price or more; do the advantages outweigh the negatives?
UmSusu

Re: Multi cooker/pressure cooker advice...

Post by UmSusu »

I can't quite give you the advice you are after as I only use a pressure cooker but I do have friends who bought the muti-cookers (no idea how much they use them). I don't see the point myself as I know I am not willing to change my cooking habits and that I need these kinds of appliances most when I have a lot to cook - the sizes of these appliances are rarely big enough to suit that purpose.

Hopefully you will get some fans on here who can give you the other side.
UmSusu
doodles

Post by doodles »

I'm a big believer in the less there is to go wrong the better, I like my kitchen equipment functional and as simple as possible. A multi cooker has never appealed but I've always fancied a pressure cooker.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I have gradually got the hang of what we like in a slow cooker but I have no understanding of the use of a pressure cooker. We never had one growing up, plus to this day I am haunted by my first visit to my boyfriend's parents (now my in-laws of 16 years) where I responded positively to a question of whether I liked broccoli and then watched in horror as it went into a pressure cooker at the same time as the potatoes :shock:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Just dusted off my slow cooker for the winter - DC very happy as it means the return of sausage jumble.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

mike1880 wrote: My gut instinct is to find a basic pressure cooker from a reputable name but I keep hearing the siren call of the multicookers when I go anywhere near Amazon even though we'd probably never use more than 2 functions and there seems a lot to go wrong compared to a nice simple chunk of metal with a few valves.
doodles wrote:I'm a big believer in the less there is to go wrong the better, I like my kitchen equipment functional and as simple as possible. A multi cooker has never appealed but I've always fancied a pressure cooker.
Here is a nice simple chunk of metal with a few valves which might suit you.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... ROKL5A1OLE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know nothing about multicookers, so I cannot comment on that...
mad?

Post by mad? »

What is a multi cooker? Please tell me it is useless as I MUST NOT get any more gadgets.
mad?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

mad? wrote:What is a multi cooker? Please tell me it is useless as I MUST NOT get any more gadgets.
I've been wondering the same thing, though I'm not the one who cooks in this house, unless it is BBQ
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I'm like some of the others never heard of a multi cooker .I googled this link don't know if it helps.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/test ... re-cookers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We use a pressure cooker for some of the asian dishes we cook at home.By we I mean my wife or mum I haven't got a clue.The only ones we have had are the prestige make.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
midlandsmum

Post by midlandsmum »

If you have a slow cooker, we cook the Christmas puddings in the slow cooker, then use the slow cooker to warm them up.