Colchester to Southend/Westcliff

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11minus

Colchester to Southend/Westcliff

Post by 11minus »

Hi

Well done to all 11+ achievers!

I need some advice, my son was hoping to get into CRGS but with his 11+ score (326+) I don't think this will be possibility. However he could be still in chance as o/c in westcliff/southend school, do you think it will be worth a hike from Colchester to Westcliff/Southend each day.
It is around 1 hour by car or 1 change at Shenfield by train which will be around 2 hours door to door.
I don not see any option of school bus from Colchester area to other grammer school in Essex however there is plenty of option other way round.

Regards
Guest55

Re: Colchester to Southend/Westcliff

Post by Guest55 »

No - it is not a sensible daily journey for anyone.

Either move or look closer to home.
KB

Post by KB »

I really wouldn't follow up on this option. It's a very long journey and any advantage their might be would be outweighed by the exhausting commute and being isolated from friends.
Do you have a reasonable local back up?
moved

Post by moved »

Move to within catchment and you have almost guaranteed entry to the Southend schools.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Please don't do it.

Any advantage you think that he will gain by attending a grammar school, any grammar school, will be far outweighed by the stress and time spent travelling forty miles each way every day, five days a week, mine months of the year. Travelling with the dominant flow of traffic on the A12 / A130 / A127 / local roads around the school, at the time of day that he will need to in order to get there on time every day - an hour from Colchester to WHSB or SHSB for an 8.30 start? Seriously?

By train, by the time you have factored in the change at Shenfield and the walk from the station at this end, SHSB would be a better bet than Westcliff, as PrIttlewell station is on the same line as Shenfield. To get to Westcliff, you would have to catch a bus from Southend Victoria, or from Rayleigh - and that option involves a walk up from the bus stop on top.

Much as we like SHSB, I wouldn't even have considered it an option if we lived forty miles away instead of two.

There are some nice houses on the market in the area at the moment, though, if you really, really want your DS to come to school in the Borough of Southend on Sea. I think you have until sometime in early January to move, in order to be classed as in catchment.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Don't do it. It's a pig of a commute and he'll be going with traffic. It's not fair on an 11 year old.

Perhaps consider reapplying for sixth form?