Borderline pass advice please.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tiredpigeon

Borderline pass advice please.

Post by Tiredpigeon »

Hello, I would be ever so grateful for any advice.
My daughter scored 302.991 which the CSSE have said is a 'borderline pass'. We are in catchment for WHSG; is it worth applying or will it be a definite rejection because it is below 303?
The CSSE have said they will not re-mark.

Thanks for any help.
newatthis

Re: Borderline pass advice please.

Post by newatthis »

Why have CSSE have said no re-mark? I would have thought you are well within your rights to ask! I do however believe that they will not actually re-mark the paper but do a check to make sure marks add up ok etc.

Re the 303, I understood, its absolute but you are best off asking the school admissions team or the council.
cuppa-t

Post by cuppa-t »

Hi, I wonder if they call it a borderline pass because Shoebury High School refer to a score above 298 as that, and offer selective places on that basis. May not be the reason but just a thought. X
Tiredpigeon

Post by Tiredpigeon »

newatthis wrote:Why have CSSE have said no re-mark? I would have thought you are well within your rights to ask! I do however believe that they will not actually re-mark the paper but do a check to make sure marks add up ok etc.

Re the 303, I understood, its absolute but you are best off asking the school admissions team or the council.
The CSSE said because it was so close it will have been marked twice already. They have said that we can ask for a third clerical re-mark. Also been told that we should apply to WHSG anyway as there is a slim chance they may take her (doubtful) The head of DDs school has said he will support an appeal as he feels strongly that she should have passed.
Do appeals ever get anywhere though? Please help! Any advice appreciated. Thank you.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Are you in catchment for WHSG? The school doesn't usually fill its quota for catchment, so it is worth putting it down in the hope that she will 'just slip in', but I'm not sure how likely that would be. If you don't actually apply, though, you definitely won't stand a chance, nor would you have any basis for an appeal (you have to apply first and be refused a place)

Overall, very few appeals are upheld, unfortunately, but it would be worth it if you really want a place at that school (again, no chance of your appeal being successful if you don't lodge it), so long as you don't think that it would just prolong the agony for your DD, still with no guarantee of the outcome she wants at the end of it.

Would you consider Shoeburyness?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tiredpigeon

Post by Tiredpigeon »

Thank you for your help. Yes we are in catchment for Westcliff- a 10 min walk away-DD won't consider Shoebury as she wants to be close to home. So if we don't get Westcliff it will be Belfairs.
Do you know if appeals are ever successful? Her Headteacher has said he will support an appeal as he strongly feels she should have passed.
Thanks so much.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now