Is Bond out of date?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rugbytown

Is Bond out of date?

Post by Rugbytown »

My DS2 is doing Bond papers & scoring well.
But he went for a 11+ Mock exam and I saw the questions are a lot different to what is in Bond books.

What will the real thing be more close to, Bond or Mock?
Do you know?
Thanks
scary mum

Re: Is Bond out of date?

Post by scary mum »

I'm not from your area & I'm sure others can be of more help, but have you looked here?http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... re-11-plus
scary mum
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

It's difficult to know whether the Mock was nearer without knowing what it looked like or who the provider is.

In terms of books, there are two types of Bond papers available - the general assessment papers and the assessment papers specifically for CEM. Bond CEM and CGP CEM papers are pretty close to the the University of Durham CEM exams in Warks and Brum grammars. Obviously, they are based in the kinds of questions that have come up so far and the real exams often include new types every so often.
UmSusu
Rugbytown

Post by Rugbytown »

Thanks.
Yes, we are doing the CEM Bond papers.
CEM Mock exam he went for is one that was booked through this website.

Thanks guys
thirdgeneration

Post by thirdgeneration »

All I can say on this is that the tutor we used in Warwickshire over the last 3 years has moved away from sticking just to Bond. When my DD Sat the 11+ in 2013, she mainly worked on Bond papers with a few CGP papers towards the end of her prep time. With my DS over 2014 and 2015, she introduced more CGP papers a lot earlier through his preparation and particularly over the last 6 months so that he was mainly working on CGP practice papers. She said that Bond was good for establishing the basic skills and knowledge required but that CGP style questions were more like what would come up.
Both were successful in their 11+ exams.
As the previous poster said, the CEM test changes from year to year and styles of question change.
Bond will stand you in good stead, but have a look at CGP too.
Of course, I am 1 year out of date now too, so see what those who have been preparing over 2016 think for the latest beliefs.
aslongastheirhappy

Post by aslongastheirhappy »

We did 3 mock tests over the summer in Stratford. At the last one, there were over 30 children there, and the tutor specifically said that Bond papers were by far the best, though with the new shorter sections, to make sure that they did the ten minute test books to work on their speed.

I used Bond up to age 12-13 to prep my dd three years ago and my ds this summer. I'm sure if you asked them, they'd say that Bond wasn't too easy! :lol: I couldn't understand half the questions - so felt like I'd upped my knowledge too. Thank God for answer sheets, that's all I can say!
Googley2

Post by Googley2 »

We used a variety of books to practice for the exam. Strangely I came across a Cognitive Ability Test book this week and got a very heightened reply from my daughter as she looked at the pages and said Mum this is what the 11+ exam was like!!

I also hired tutors who covered many many subjects that were NOT in the exam. Far too much test content revealed. Removed by Moderator.

Not disagreeing with what anyone else thinks but that was the feedback I got from my dd.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If you pay money for a tutor they should prepare you for the test that your student will be taking, not the one that they currently have the materials for or the one that it used to be.

You are paying them for their knowledge about the exam and how to prepare.

If they prepare your student for the wrong exam then you should ask for your money back.

CEM has been around for a while now and there is a huge amount of material in the marketplace so there is no excuse.

There are lots of threads of advice about what materials to use and CGP is often identified as closer to the CEM exam format than Bond.

I suggest you do a search on CGP and Bond in this region and see what experienced parents have had to say. DG
aslongastheirhappy

Post by aslongastheirhappy »

Just wanted to report back, with my ds having done his 11+ Sept 2016, and got the results. We DIY'd and used Bond.
All went well. He got 241. (chose AGS as we live closer and prefer CoEd).
What I would say is that the shorter ten minute tests are great - and we did make sure that we did Bond 12-13 books for Maths and English as well. Honestly speaking, the thing that we found most helpful were the lists of antonyms and synonyms that we found online, which he learnt parrot-passion in the 2 weeks leading up to the exam.
There are lots of very helpful resources, and every child is different, but Bond served us very well.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now