Role of the clark

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dad1973

Headmaster only appealed two children, two years running

Post by dad1973 »

Hi,

DS passed the kent test mark but missed the maths by 8 points - He's been in the top set for maths all his school years, and normally been given work for the year ahead. In his recent September SAT test he passed with the grade that is apparently shows he's already on the level he should be at the end of year 6, (not bad, considering he is summer baby).

He’s passed the Medway Kent 11+ and did well in Maths, but I'd rather he went to a school on our door step.

His head didn’t appeal his 11+ result, as last year he only did it for two pupils, (there’s an attached comp, so they don’t really gear up the kids towards the 11+). His PA told me this am he only did it for two pupils this year, for last year I found out via the freedom of information act website that it was also two.

Any advice for the appeal? Really disappointed with the head for at least not considering an appeal for him, just seems like he's in a habit of only doing it for two kids, regardless of academic record.

Thanks for all info, support and advice, as you can imagine it's a bit of a depressing time, considering maths is by far his strongest subject.
Etienne

Re: Headmaster only appealed two children, two years running

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

Don't worry - I think appeal panels in Kent are likely to be familiar with all the inconsistencies in the headteacher assessment process.
Any advice for the appeal?
You can't appeal before March, so for the time being just do plenty of reading.
Start here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you've finished reading, if you have unanswered questions, do please let us know.
Etienne
dad1973

Role of the clark

Post by dad1973 »

Hi,

Kent appeal -

Can someone please clarify the role of the Clark on the panel? Does she have any weight on the outcome? During the appeal, she interrupted, challenged us, and we feel put doubt into the key panel heads.

Not slept for a week, thinking of this.

Thank you
Etienne

Re: Role of the clark

Post by Etienne »

dad1973 wrote:Can someone please clarify the role of the Clark on the panel? Does she have any weight on the outcome?
The clerk should not influence the panels' decision, but can explain correct procedure, and point out what the law does or doesn't permit.
During the appeal, she interrupted, challenged us, and we feel put doubt into the key panel heads.
It seems unlikely she should be challenging your case as such, but to comment further I'd need to know what exactly was said.
Etienne
mpquikster

Post by mpquikster »

I'm not familiar with the system in Kent but can someone explain what is meant when you say the Head only appealed 2 cases? What does it have to do with the Head?

The role of the clerk is to advise on procedure, advise on any legal matters that arise, take minutes, record the panels decision and write up and send the decision letters. If they did any more than that I'd suggest a complaint to the ombudsman or EFA.
dad1973

Post by dad1973 »

Thanks for responding.

So we had two 11+ results, one for medway, one for kent. She said for example the medway was an average score, when clearly 91% isn't an average score. And the evidence we provided, she goes where's the full report? When clearly we provided an extract as request. Basically, everything, where's that, where's this, etc.

All evidence was provided, with a very strong letter from the school.

Thanks for your quick response.
mpquikster

Post by mpquikster »

From experience it should be rare that the clerk even speaks once the appeal is under way (unless of course advising on a relevant matter). If the panel or the representative from the school wanted further clarification or had questions for you then it is for them to ask. The clerk should remain impartial. It is your appeal and you decide what evidence you provide.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mpquikster wrote:I'm not familiar with the system in Kent but can someone explain what is meant when you say the Head only appealed 2 cases? What does it have to do with the Head?

The role of the clerk is to advise on procedure, advise on any legal matters that arise, take minutes, record the panels decision and write up and send the decision letters. If they did any more than that I'd suggest a complaint to the ombudsman or EFA.
I think that in Kent, there is a system whereby the 11+ results are notified to the HTs some time in advance of the parents being informed, so that the head can ask for a review of the results of children who they consider should have passed, but didn't. Then the child's score is notified to the parents as being a pass 'on review', or whatever. I may be wrong, though...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Kent's version of a review is the Headteacher Assessment.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Confusingly, I think it used to be called a Headteacher Appeal.)
She said for example the medway was an average score, when clearly 91% isn't an average score. And the evidence we provided, she goes where's the full report?
It sounds as if the clerk was acting like a 4th member of the panel! :?

Is this an academy? Was the appeal organised by the school, or by KCC? (It should be clear from the address given in correspondence.)
Etienne
dad1973

Post by dad1973 »

This was a KCC appeal for a grammar school.

Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now