Moving to Kent advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
11minus

Moving to Kent advice

Post by 11minus »

Hi

Congratulation to you all on passing the 11 plus exam. This is great achievement at this tender age. Those who havent please dont think this is the end of the world, journey has started.
I need some advice . My DS has scored 388 in Kent exam better than his Essex exam. We live in Essex however we are flexible in moving.
Can you advice which school we should be trying possibly looking at Dartford area or Turnbridge area. We will not move till we get a confirmation hence we need some suggestion which school have chances of applying.

Regards
kenyancowgirl

Re: Moving to Kent advice

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Which schools have you visited?! Which schools when you looked round them were the best fit for your son?! Please don't tell me that you are considering applying to schools that you have not even looked at yet...
HelloWorld123

Post by HelloWorld123 »

What are the possible out of catchment girls grammar schools that can be mentioned in CAF
hanaF

Post by hanaF »

Hi 11minus, last year your ds would have qualified for Dartford out of catchment. Think the cut off was 375 OOC check posts on this forum. However, cut off score changes every year so there is no guarantee. Still, it's worth putting on the CAF unless you have other better choices.
HelloWorld123

Post by HelloWorld123 »

My DD got qualified for Kent. I think its difficult to get into grammar schools from out of catchment. Could some one please advice about the process involved in moving to Kent for getting into Catchment? Is there any cut off date? When I spoke to the Kent admissions department, the response is not very clear. Where should I submit the Common Application Form? Is it in the local council or Kent?
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

The SCAF has to be completed by I think 31st October. Last year if you moved up to a date sometime in early December they would take into consideration your new address. Best to check with KCC if there is such a provision this year. After that date it doesn't matter if you move to live on the doorstep of the school your new address will nto be taken into account so you will have to go on the waiting list and wait for the next allocation. If you are going to a school that is catchment and you won't have moved before the date in December it is probably wise to move to live very near that school.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Try the Kent gov website. There is a very useful document about transferring to secondary school in Kent plus lots of information on dates, applying from outside Kent, admissions and the different schools.

Sorry I tried to copy the link but it won't paste but it comes up quickly if you google kent.gov.uk
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
doodles

Post by doodles »

Helloworld123 just type in http://www.kent.gov.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and then put secondary school places into search. Then look at applying for a secondary school places and on the first page there is a document offering further advice. It's comes up quite easily. Good luck
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
HelloWorld123

Post by HelloWorld123 »

Thank you Doodles. I could find the document.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

And the answer to your Where do I submit my CAF? question - for general reference - is, to the local authority in which not are living at the time you submit it. You can apply to any state school using your local form, not just ones in your own area, as the system is set up to exchange information between authorities.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now