Disastrously low score...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
TLC11

Disastrously low score...

Post by TLC11 »

As the title says, DS has scored much lower than expected - 52 to be exact.

I opened the envelope and my jaw hit the floor, I thought he was 'on the fence' and if he missed it would be marginally. We done some tuition, he's at the top end of the class...

I'm stunned, speechless and upset. I can't believe he would actually score this!

We're not going to appeal. I'm just venting some frustration.

Well done to all DC's today :)
Daogroupie

Re: Disastrously low score...

Post by Daogroupie »

Sorry to hear that. Did he think it had gone badly? It is very hard to tell how you have done in CEM. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Thank you for posting this. Many of us on here know the Transfer Test does not always get it right.

Your child, with your support, can do well anywhere - remember that old saying 'cream always rises to the top'.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

Anyone can have a bad day. It will feel awful now, but it is not the end of the world. No doubt you will be posting on here in a few years saying what fab GCSE results he has inspite of this spanner in the works.
I wish him all the best for his future. Try and enjoy the weekend and start looking forward.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

I'm so sorry- it's a brutal system. Remember it is one test on one day and that's all. I have a couple of friends who have children who got similar scores - a couple of years on and they're in great uppers and are doing brilliantly.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I am truly sorry to hear about this. Shock results of this sort are so difficult to come to terms with.

I hope you take comfort from his current good performance at school, which sounds as if it will be a good springboard into whichever secondary school you have available.

We will of course be here to advise you on that choice if we can be of help.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

That's very courageous of you to post,most posters do not post if their child does not make the grade-almost 2/3 to 3/4 do not make it,that's the brutal truth of this insane system.

Your DC is not a failure alongside the overwhelming others who do not get a grammar place.

You son is brilliant and has all the attributes to be a success.

"So those who are last now will be first then, and those who are first will be last."

Matthew 20:16
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Thank you for posting.

Whilst we were not expecting our dd to pass, we were thinking she would get a good score, so I totally understand where you are coming from.i had the same reaction as you and poor dd was mortified at the low score (61), much more so than the fact she didn't pass. I wish the letter wouldn't show the scores or at least the scores could be sent out seperately.

Have had to do a lot of reassuring and plenty of hugs. It's been hard as older dd is at Grammar and she really wanted to go to her sister's school, although of course we had made her aware it won't necessarily be the case.

It's not easy......
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

TLC11 and buzzybee, you have been very brave in reporting the "other side" of the Transfer Test. But hear this - and listen - your children are obviously doing well in their current schools - the test was a blip on the day, who knows why - but everything happens for a reason. GS are just schools - same curriculums, same problems - the Upper Schools in Bucks are good - some are really good (and Guest55 and others will give specific advice to you if you need it) - and with supportive parents, committed children and, dare I say it, kids with the motivation now to go in and "show 'em", they will do well - they will find their niche - they will be in the right place for them (even if it doesn't feel like it today) and they will flourish I am sure.
TLC11

Post by TLC11 »

Thank you all for your lovely comments. Thank you buzzybee for letting me know I am not alone. Its is very much appreciated.

DG he struggled with the pace of the test and said he didnt have enough time. I suspect he may have got out of sync on the marking grid, but I am only speculating...

It has been a learning curve for us all, and I wanted to share the other side of the magic 121 and what we have learned along the way.

Thankfully, we are very happy with our local upper. It is so important to always be happy with the upper, particularly if you have more than 1 child! DS was only 6 when DD took her transfer test and went to grammar- I didnt even consider his secondary options at that time! I still have another child to get through this hideous system.

More importantly, dont become preocuppied on your childs academic ability. I have taught my son to be kind and caring, to always share, to be yourself, to always try your best and never give up, to befriend those who need a friend, and to sit with the lonley child in class...

These qualities will make him succeed in life more than any exam ever will.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now