Children outside Medway and Kent taking Medway tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Peter

Children outside Medway and Kent taking Medway tests

Post by Peter »

There appear to be urban myths circulating about the number of children outside Kent and Medway taking the Medway tests, including on this forum.
In fact, the total was just 9, of whom 4 were successful, so they will not have had any effect on the process, or the number of vacancies.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Peter can I ask where you sourced this information?
Its just that I know personally of two children from my child's tutor group who took the Medway test and 'passed'. They live out-of-area in Bexley area and had no intention of taking up a place in Medway - were just using the exam as practice!
It's quite bizarre that I know of 2 of the 4 children who passed.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Supplied by Medway Council under the Freedom of Information Act. To be precise the relevant answers were:

13) The number of children living outside Kent or Medway who took the Medway tests for entry in September 2008. = 9

14) The number of children living outside Kent or Medway who took the Medway tests for entry in September 2008 and were successful (including success at Review). = 4

Of course if someone knows three others who passed?!
Mercy

Post by Mercy »

In this case then, Peter , please do you know the cut-off mark for Rainham mark and how many people have applied or any other info that yoy know.
thanks.
Peter

Post by Peter »

The Rainham Mark cut off will as always be calculated to select the top 175 scorers (no sibling priority this year) for whom Rainham Mark is the top school on the CAF for which they are eligible, by having passed the Medway test. This would exclude anyone who has taken the test and not put a Medway school on their CAF, so such children's performance is irrelevant.

The cut off score will not be public until March3, although last year there weren't 175 who fulfilled the criteria, so all who passed were offered places.

However, I suspect that under the new scheme, Rainham Mark will pick up on popularity this year.
Mercy

Post by Mercy »

thanks for the prompt reply.

mercy
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

This is very interesting; have you been supplied these figures personally Peter or can you post a link for us to view this information? Thanks.
Peter

Post by Peter »

No I obtained them personally.
liney

Post by liney »

Hello Peter
Can you tell me how many children put Rainham Mark as their first choice this year? and how many were unsucessful? Would I be able to get this information from the school or the LEA? Thanks.
Peter

Post by Peter »

I have requested this information for all Medway schools through the Freedom of Information Act, and expect a reply within 20 working days.

I understand that Rainham Mark is technically full this year, at this stage for the first time in a number of years (not confirmed). That does not mean all appeals will be unsuccessful!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now