Appeal procedure help please

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Googley2

Appeal procedure help please

Post by Googley2 »

Hi my daughters score was 198 but she had already told me that she was out of sync on a section of questions that had 32 questions in it. I was hoping it was near the end but now it looks like it was near the beginning. Her non-verbal reasoning seems really low at 84.92 so I think this maybe the section (102 for Numeracy and 105 for VR).

I educate her at home so we have no headmaster to help with an appeal so really hoping someone on here can advise how, what, why, when etc.

Our dream was for Shottery (Stratford Girls School) and she needs at least 220 to get in there.

Can someone please advise me what I should do next as never done this before.

Thanks very much

Catherine
JamesDean

Re: Appeal procedure help please

Post by JamesDean »

Hi Googley

Sorry to here your DD didn't do as well as you had hoped in her 11+. Details of the WCC appeals process can be found here - http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/schoolappeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - but you won't be able to do anything until March after national offers day.

For now, complete your CAF putting Shottery first so that you can be turned down in March and then be able to appeal that decision. In the meantime, collect as much evidence as you can proving your DD's academic ability to support your appeal. A word of caution though, appeals for the Stratford grammars are very rarely upheld I'm afraid.

Best of luck,

JD
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

+1 with JD. Have a very good look at the appeals thread on here - there is loads of starting advice - key thing being that you must have excellent proof of academic ability - you will not win an appeal on extenuating circumstances without academic evidence so spend your time collecting information for that as, until you have been rejected by Shottery in March, you cannot start the appeals process. As JD says, appeals are rarely upheld and your score will not put you on the waiting list for Shottery. You need to be very realistic about your back up options too - what is your rank score for Southern girls? This will enable us to see if Alcester Grammar School might be a possibility - and start bigging up her catchment state school too.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

Very good advice above.

For general guidance, start here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you've finished reading, if you still have unanswered questions, do please let us know.

Never go into an appeal expecting to win ........
Etienne
Googley2

Post by Googley2 »

Hi, questions for those with more experience than me - well anybody who knows really. I have a few questions concerning the appeal and would welcome some info on them:

1) I assumed to have an "appeal" you would attend a meeting and discuss everything and then panel will give you their decision later. I have just heard from someone at WCC than I can just phone up in March and ask for my dd paper to be remarked. It sounded like this would replace the appeal meeting. It may be correct but was just wondering if anyone knew or had heard something like this in the past?

2) Also as I home educate, would her current work books be satisfactory as to her academic standard - dont really know what else I can use as I have finished using tutors.

3) As there are no school reports etc is there any other form of paper that the panel would accept as proof of academic standard?

4) Is it worth filling in an online appeal now or will it be ignored? I notice there is only one appeal form and not an individual one for the 11+ appeal?

Thank you for your help.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Googley2 wrote:Hi, questions for those with more experience than me - well anybody who knows really. I have a few questions concerning the appeal and would welcome some info on them:

1) I assumed to have an "appeal" you would attend a meeting and discuss everything and then panel will give you their decision later. I have just heard from someone at WCC than I can just phone up in March and ask for my dd paper to be remarked. It sounded like this would replace the appeal meeting. It may be correct but was just wondering if anyone knew or had heard something like this in the past?

2) Also as I home educate, would her current work books be satisfactory as to her academic standard - dont really know what else I can use as I have finished using tutors.

3) As there are no school reports etc is there any other form of paper that the panel would accept as proof of academic standard?

4) Is it worth filling in an online appeal now or will it be ignored? I notice there is only one appeal form and not an individual one for the 11+ appeal?

Thank you for your help.
Taking things in on particular order:

You are appealing for a place at a school which has turned you down, so you don't submit the form until after 1st March, which is when you will receive that rejection. If a form is 'live' on the website at the moment, it is mainly for appeals pertaining to current in-year applications.

No idea about having a re mark as an alternative to an appeal - if that is really something you can opt for, it must be a procedure peculiar to your area, I think.

I'm not sure what evidence of ability would be best to submit where you have no objective assessor - do you belong to a local home ed network where someone with experience of appeals could advise you?

There is no necessity to attend an appeal in person, but if you rely solely on your written submission, a) it needs to be very clear and make your points well (not just, 'she's a clever girl and she's very upset at not getting the grammar school place she deserves) be b) you miss out both on the opportunity to question the admissions authority rep on their case, and to be invited to expand on your own written submission. If there are things in what you have written which don't make sense to the panel, they will remain a mystery to them if you are not there to explain exactly what you meant, and so on.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I have never heard about a remark instead of an appeal in Warwickshire. There may be a facility to ask for a remark (I don't know if there is but WCC could advise) but your daughter might not meet the qualifying standard as she is quite a long way off.

The procedure is fairly clearly laid out in this document :
https://apps.warwickshire.gov.uk/api/do ... CCC-743-96" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When did you start home tutoring her? You could ask her previous school for some evidence to support - did she sit SATS in Y2 for example? Has she entered any national competitions that are marked independently? Did WCC give you any advice about the type of evidence that they accept from home schooled children? Failing that, you will just have to hand in her current work books and hope they suffice.

Toadmum is right, though, you can only collect your evidence and start preparing as you cannot actually appeal until she has been formally rejected from SGGS (on March 1st) and then the deadline to lodge your appeal is 29th March, if memory serves me correctly.
Googley2

Post by Googley2 »

We know she went wrong on the exam as she got out of sync which lost her an awful lot of marks, probably in the Non VR section as that was really low, hoping with a remark this can be corrected. She has been home tutored for 1.5 years, I kept her old school books but they seem so outdated now that it probably wont help. She went to an independent school which didnt do SATS so have no results there. Never considered entering any competitions maybe time to do it now - any recommendations for that? WCC didnt state anything about HE children, just to call back in March. She was top of her year at school and had honour marks certificates and outstanding results certificates based on class work during the year - would these be helpful as probably the panel wont know the independent school?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Googley2 wrote:We know she went wrong on the exam as she got out of sync which lost her an awful lot of marks, probably in the Non VR section as that was really low, hoping with a remark this can be corrected. She has been home tutored for 1.5 years, I kept her old school books but they seem so outdated now that it probably wont help. She went to an independent school which didnt do SATS so have no results there. Never considered entering any competitions maybe time to do it now - any recommendations for that? WCC didnt state anything about HE children, just to call back in March. She was top of her year at school and had honour marks certificates and outstanding results certificates based on class work during the year - would these be helpful as probably the panel wont know the independent school?
I'm not sure how a remark could correct her mistake as they won't know where she went wrong & can only deal with what they see, not assume that everything is one question out, or two, or whatever. I don't think you should pin your hopes on this.
scary mum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Googley2 wrote:I have just heard from someone at WCC than I can just phone up in March and ask for my dd paper to be remarked. It sounded like this would replace the appeal meeting. It may be correct but was just wondering if anyone knew or had heard something like this in the past?
I don't see how a re-mark could possibly replace the right to appeal.
I assumed to have an "appeal" you would attend a meeting .........
You don't have to attend your appeal, but you could be seriously disadvantaged if you don't.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
..... as I home educate, would her current work books be satisfactory as to her academic standard - dont really know what else I can use as I have finished using tutors.
As there are no school reports etc is there any other form of paper that the panel would accept as proof of academic standard?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b61" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is it worth filling in an online appeal now or will it be ignored? I notice there is only one appeal form and not an individual one for the 11+ appeal?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne