Worth appealing?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MissMillsie

Worth appealing?

Post by MissMillsie »

Hi all lovely peeps! Congrats to everyone's DC's on their results :-)

My DS passed Kent but wasn't selective for Bexley with a score of 201. Pretty gutted to be honest and we know he could of done better. What happened was he got over confident and felt 'ready' two weeks prior and hardly done any studying. Also I need to mention that he is deaf with a moderate hearing loss. He has to work much harder and I know what it's like as I am hearing impaired myself.

I'll get to the point! Is it worth chatting to his HT about his result and seeing is she would support us in appealing? If he is capable of passing Kent does the same apply to Bexley?

I really believe in him but also wondering if it is worth it with a mark 15 points under the selective score. Want to be realistic too.

Any advice from you lovely lot? We are 3 odd miles from Chis and Sid (our preferred school)

Many thanks! X
PettswoodFiona

Re: Worth appealing?

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Each test suits different children. However my general observation over the past few years is that if out of three tests that children tend to sit in our area often if only one test is passed it is Kent. This does make sense when you look at the numbers sitting and the numbers passing. The general odds are in favour of Kent, then Bexley, then St O / NW.

I therefore suspect you won't be alone in your son having passed Kent but not Bexley. If he had a really high score for Kent and a good previous academic record there is no harm in appealing but it will be a difficult process with no guarantees.

If you are so close to Sid n Chis are you in catchment for a Kent grammar?
dwisdom

Post by dwisdom »

this is exceptional circumstance - and is type of 'excuse' that a panel likes to go for -

I think u have good chance rather than 'not feeling well' or 'under stress' or 'passed kent - so good enough for grammar'
Sun&Sky88

Post by Sun&Sky88 »

I would talk to the Head and get their opinion. However not all Heads are experienced in appeals?
I would always try as I would not want to regret "what if I did it and they agreed with me"!
The worse that can happen is you get a "no".
Well it was "no" anyway, what else could there be to lose?
Your DS is not standard case like the poster above has mentioned.
Give it a shot! I know I would it is afterall 7 years of his schooling life.
MissMillsie

Post by MissMillsie »

Thank you for your replies.

No we are not really in catchment for Kent schools. About 8 miles from DGS and he scored 355 so not looking likely to get a place in any of the Kent schools? Tbh I think it's only DGS and WGSB which are our 'closest' ones?

No harm in emailing the HT is there I guess ☺️ X
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

dwisdom wrote:this is exceptional circumstance - and is type of 'excuse' that a panel likes to go for -

I think u have good chance rather than 'not feeling well' or 'under stress' or 'passed kent - so good enough for grammar'
Appeal panels do not go for "excuses"! Nor will they necessarily take the results of one test as being indicative of a child's suitability for a GS in another area.

Please read the Appeals Q&A: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to find out what really matters at an Appeal.

I am moving this thread to the Appeals section for you.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

No harm in contacting the HT but ultimately it will be up to you to prove a case with any evidence and support they can provide. As mentioning above take a look at the appeals section on this site as it will involve a lot of hard work and no guarantees. WGSB I think only came out a few miles last year. DGS the score is just above the cut off last year for in-county. Some friends in the exact same situation last year put their house on the market and got it under offer by early November and moved in catchment by the early December change of address date - not that I am recommending that, more pointing out that your situation is not unique. Good luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now