School timingS for Handsworth Girls High & SCGSG

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Thumbsup

School timingS for Handsworth Girls High & SCGSG

Post by Thumbsup »

Hi all,

DD didn't do so well in the Walsall test, however scored 222 for the Bham tests. We are considering both Sutton Coldfield Grammar and Handsworth Girls High school. We are hoping she could gain entry with this score.

We live in Wton, and in all honesty we were not considering a school in Birmingham, as the intention was to use the test as a mock. But as things have not worked out in our favour, we are now seriously contemplating the above schools.

I would appreciate any help from anyone who has or knows of any children attending. Just wandering what the earliest time i could drop my DD, would library/canteen be open? Also what are extra curricular activities like? Unsure if I will be able to schedule a visit to both schools, but I will certainly try.

Would welcome any advice or info on above schools.

Thanks
quasimodo

Re: School timingS for Handsworth Girls High & SCGSG

Post by quasimodo »

T ,

I just went on the KE Handsworth website and under transportation noticed the following Green Bus service.

AH8
Bilston, Wednesbury, Tamebridge, West Bromwich, Hamstead, King Edward VI Handsworth School and King Edward VI Aston School

I don't know which part of Wolverhampton you live ?

(Sadly this route may no longer exist.You will need to ring the company to find out the current position)

The school begins at 8.35.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

SCGSG - the dining hall opens before the school opens for girls who get there early. DD says definitely open at 8.00 but may be before that - worth double checking with the school. They can have breakfast or just sit and chat.
Thumbsup

Post by Thumbsup »

Thanks both Quasimodo and Booellesmom.

Will call tomorrow to enquire about the 2017/18 proposed bus routes.

Booellesmom.... does your DD know of pupils travelling from Wton? Just wandering if it is really feasible or am I being impractical??
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

I think KEVIHS is open from 7.30 as DD tell me her friend gets there just after 7.35ish everyday. Homework clubs goes till 4.30 but the last green buses are on their way by 4pm. Homework club is Mon to Wed. Some go till 3.55pm and jump on the bus.
Thumbsup

Post by Thumbsup »

Thanks PP, speaking to DD about her options she is not phased by the travel. She really wants to go to grammar like her big brother. And I don't want to deny her the opportunity so will do what it takes to try and get her there! If we're lucky to gain a space on allocations day.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

None of DD's friends are from Wolverhampton and she doesn't know where the other girls travel from apart from that some are the "other side of Birmingham" (We are in Sutton). She is in year 11 so you'd think she'd know by now but apparently it just never comes up in conversation! :roll:
ELEVENPLUSMOM

Post by ELEVENPLUSMOM »

Hi All,
Just want a bit of realistic advice on Sutton girls and Handsworth....we want to put one of them as 2nd choice...we live 3.2 miles from Sutton girls and it takes about 20 mins. to reach there...whereas for Handsworth it is 4.3 miles but it takes about 45 to50 mins. to reach there.. so distance wise Sutton is the best...now,coming to GCSE and A level performance...we heard that Handsworth is much better ...so if someone can give advice ...that wud be helpful......Thanks
Petitpois

Post by Petitpois »

If your going to look at results look at them over 5 years.

At the end of the day you would not buy a product based only on one function. You would look at flexible features, environmental impact, cost to use, guarantees, reliability (hence look at results over 5 years), other previous purchaser's reviews, whether there were any buy one get one free deals (if only I could get DD2 into KEViHS on such a deal, these definitely do not apply), etc etc.

Given all the noise currently going about on 11+ and grammars generally it is perhaps even more difficult to cut through to a decision this year. My only lesson learned that I can personally say is to try and set aside pre-conceptions. They don't help and you will almost certainly ignore evidence you want to ignore and seek information you want see.

As an example we did not look at a single comprehensive last year. We put one on at position 6 on the CAF for no particular reason, kind of just to complete the form, but it was meaningless.

On reflection not looking at comprehensives was PURE stupidity on my part and having corrected the error this year with DD2, I would urge you to have a look at a couple. We went to what we "Thought" was the worst and best local comps this year, which why I now know how stupid I was last year.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

ELEVENPLUSMOM wrote:Hi All,
Just want a bit of realistic advice on Sutton girls and Handsworth....we want to put one of them as 2nd choice...we live 3.2 miles from Sutton girls and it takes about 20 mins. to reach there...whereas for Handsworth it is 4.3 miles but it takes about 45 to50 mins. to reach there.. so distance wise Sutton is the best...now,coming to GCSE and A level performance...we heard that Handsworth is much better ...so if someone can give advice ...that wud be helpful......Thanks
Don't take anybody's word for it DYOR. The academic results are on each schools website.When you look at the results bear in mind there are more girls at SCGSG than KE Handsworth with a slightly greater range of abilities at SCGSG in the results.This position is changing at KE Handsworth with the pupil premium children but these children have not yet taken any GCSE's or A levels.These results also change from year to year.I couldn't say which is better on this basis.Decide on what suits you and your child and what is the best fit for your child.There is much more to a school than academics.

Good Luck on your choice.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln