Views on Handsworth Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
reeyah

Views on Handsworth Grammar

Post by reeyah »

Hi

My friend is thinking of applying for a place at HG and is worried about some of the negative views about this school.

Can I please have some advice from parents who have personal experience?

Much appreciated!

Reeyah :)
ABN

Re: Views on Handsworth Grammar

Post by ABN »

My DS1 is attending HGS at the moment .lots of extracurricular activities and wonderful teachers
Dadybear

Post by Dadybear »

all grammars are the same it all depends on your child and if they are willing to learn.

i would travel to the end of the world if my child got a place at any grammar!!!

& if you choose a comp over a grammar you have no sense!

why even go on this journey!!!

HANDSWORTH GRAMMAR SCHOOL IS THE SAME AS ANY OTHER GRAMMAR!!!
moshimoshi

Post by moshimoshi »

I attended HGS but subsequently swithed to KE. Honestly, once you settle in, there was no real difference, except for level of facilities, which again, did not hugely affect the daily experience. With hindsight, I don't understand basis for negative reviews, except HGS is competing with a really powerful "KES" brand.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Can I just question negative views regarding what exactly? Teaching, exam grades, food, facilities? My DS1 started there in September, and although only a term in he is very happy. If you can give more detail, either on here or in a PM, I will be happy to answer if I can.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

moshimoshi wrote:I attended HGS but subsequently swithed to KE. Honestly, once you settle in, there was no real difference, except for level of facilities, which again, did not hugely affect the daily experience. With hindsight, I don't understand basis for negative reviews, except HGS is competing with a really powerful "KES" brand.
Everyone is aware HGS is part of the proposal to join the KE multi academy trust and its name will change to I believe KE Handsworth boys so it will be part of the same brand soon if the proposal goes ahead.

I think if you DYOR some boys have gone to the very best Universities including Oxford in the last 3 years.

On the schools website 40% A or A* in GCSE and 96% pass rate A* to C in 2014 to 2015.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Does anyone know if there are open mornings this week? We'd really like to look round on a normal school day, especially as ds wasn't keen after the open day and we'd like to reassure him before he hopefully gets a place in March.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

If you ring the school you may be able to arrange a visit this week.I recall in previous years a number of parents indicating they were able to make visits prior to the completion of their Local authority form.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Yes, last year we rung after we received the results and they were doing tours all the following week. Only at certain times and limited numbers, so would advise calling first thing Monday morning. All the best.
Nard

Post by Nard »

I have no hesitation in sending my DS2 to HGS he will be joining DS1 next year with a score of 243. I think that speaks volumes in terms of my opinion of the school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now