Wilsons or St. Olaves /essex

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
delnidhi12

Wilsons or St. Olaves /essex

Post by delnidhi12 »

Hi ,
Request you to please advise which one is better Wilsons or St. Olaves for the second option as in both the cases we need to relocate. I have a younger daughter so I need to decide accordingly as she is already going in quite a good school but if we don't get QE as that's our first choice and he has got 230 so not sure, but hoping for the best. Secondly, he has got a good score in Essex 367, so which one should I prefer King Edward or Colchester Grammar for Boys in other preferences . Thanks
scary mum

Re: Wilsons or St. Olaves /essex

Post by scary mum »

Which did you prefer when you visited? You might get some better responses if you ask about specific aspects of the schools. Otherwise it seems a little odd to ask strangers on the internet which school is best for your son when they know nothing about him.
scary mum
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I think you are going to find it hard to get someone who knows all those schools as they are so far apart. Which did your DS like the most when he visited? What subjects at GCSE do they do which perhaps others don't and what sports do they have? I know St Olaves as the sister school to DD's grammar so if thinking of your daughter in the future The girls equivalent to St Olaves is Newstead. Both are exceptional schools. Both scored really well in the latest progress 8 measure. For some they may not suit for whatever reason, be it ethos, environment, governance. I love living in my area, not far from DD's school. It is still in a London Borough but close to the green belt. It is a great place to bring up a family.
delnidhi12

Post by delnidhi12 »

Thanks for the information. Yes, you are correct its difficult for anyone to have knowledge about all the schools. Primarily, I would like to know about Wilsons Boys and St. Olaves., as little apprehensive since St Olaves second round is in November, so should I list it as an option in CAF .
Richa26

Post by Richa26 »

Kings Edwards is one of the best school in essex
And very gud primary school near that area.
House prices are better than london aswell
Hope it help
delnidhi12

Post by delnidhi12 »

Thanks a lot Richa as very confused since the son has cleared the exam everywhere and we are ready to move. He has scored 367 in Essex and were confused whether to put Colchester grammar for boys or King Edward .Thanks for your response .
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

"Son Has cleared the exam everywhere"...

I'm going to regret asking this, but how many different areas did you make him sit?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

delnidhi12 wrote:Thanks a lot Richa as very confused since the son has cleared the exam everywhere and we are ready to move. He has scored 367 in Essex and were confused whether to put Colchester grammar for boys or King Edward .Thanks for your response .
CRGS is a pretty safe bet with that score.

Colchester Castle museum. Natural History Museum. Hollytrees social history museum. Colchester Zoo.Mersea Island. Beth Chatto Gardens. Wilkins Jam museum and tearooms, Tiptree. East Anglian Railway Museum. Castle Hedingham. Ipswich.

Lots of things to see and do in Colchester and the surrounding area over half term :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Richa26

Post by Richa26 »

delnidhi12 wrote:Thanks a lot Richa as very confused since the son has cleared the exam everywhere and we are ready to move. He has scored 367 in Essex and were confused whether to put Colchester grammar for boys or King Edward .Thanks for your response .
Both schools very gud
did u visit the schools ?
my personal preff would be colchester rest its ur decision as as u know ur son's intrests better
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If you are going to have to move anyway, why not put down the one that is perceived to be the most prestigious first, then the one the neighbours might think has a bit less cachet but is still just about acceptable, then the rest? Or just stick a pin in the map or put the names of all the schools in a hat and ask the milkman to pull them out for you? Sorry, no, ignore that one. And the other two; they are all very bad ways to choose a school :shock:.

Or you could consider which one you and your DS felt would suit him best when you visited then all (you did visit them, didn't you :) ), bearing in mind that a school he definitely has the score for is CRGS, one he probably has the score for is KEGS and the one you have no idea about at this stage is St Olaves (what is the position re Wilson's?).

Presumably, you also want to consider where you actually want to live? If you have to commute to central London, Orpington has fast trains, as does Chelmsford (although Greater Anglia has its moments, reliability-wise), Colchester is obviously further out, but plenty of people do commute from there (same comment as that re Chelmsford, though). I can't really comment about travelling in from the area around Wilson's, but I'm sure others can advise.

The main reason why other people are unlikely to have much experience of all four schools is that most people don't actually have their children sit multiple exams for schools in places far distant both from each other and from the area where they currently live and have social ties, etc.
Last edited by ToadMum on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now