Parents contribution to school funds? St Olaves

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hanaF

Parents contribution to school funds? St Olaves

Post by hanaF »

I came across a 'gift card' form on the internet suggesting £50 a month parent's contribution to St O school fund? Is this true? Would boys who can't afford the money be penalised or looked down upon?

I am happy with £20 pm or so knowing how schools have a shrinking budget, but £600 a year seems a lot after paying out train/coach, uniform, spot kits, school trips, instrument lessons, etc.

Can someone kindly explain how this work? I have never expected a state maintained school to demand regular direct debit from parents.
Tinkers

Re: Parents contribution to school funds? St Olaves

Post by Tinkers »

A lot of state schools (GS and Comps) ask parents for voluntary contributions.

But they are exactly that, voluntary. If you feel you can give and want to give, then give. If you want to give but can't give what the school suggests, give less.

If you want to give, but can't afford to, offer your time instead.

If you don't want to give don't feel obliged. Some schools are more 'demanding' than others.

It will not affect your DS either way.
salsa

Post by salsa »

That is the amount. £50 per month. I know someone who couldn't afford it and received several calls urging them to contribute. Although they didn't contribute, their son was not penalised. The parents also realised that they have very expensive trips too.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

salsa wrote:That is the amount. £50 per month. I know someone who couldn't afford it and received several calls urging them to contribute. Although they didn't contribute, their son was not penalised. The parents also realised that they have very expensive trips too.
Do you mean that it's £50 / month or nothing, as far as the school is concerned, even if a parent is offering an alternative, albeit lower amount? There is an obvious option to choose, in that case :lol: .

Nose, cutting off one's, face to spite, springs to mind. A generalised mention or two in the weekly newsletter is one thing, but repeated, personal, follow up calls definitely not on, in my book.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
salsa

Post by salsa »

They did give their time helping with some events they had. However, it was awkward to have to explain your financial situation repeatedly to the school. Thankfully, their boy was unaware of this situation.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Our school does a "Pound a day scheme"...at various Standards Evenings it is alluded to by the Head - a) he makes it very clear that it is voluntary, b) the £30 a month direct debit is very clearly explained as "or whatever you feel you can afford" and then he segues in to the 3 PTAs that exist, which stresses that there are other ways you can help the school if you cannot afford money. There is I think one reminder about the scheme per year and anyone who does contribute gets a very nice letter from the head thanking them for it. Conversely they markedly promote that if anyone cannot afford trips they should approach the Head in confidence as they don't want anyone to miss out on curriculum related trips. I think the key is to take note of the bits that apply to you.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DD 's and DS's school Parents Associations both run '200' Clubs' - I subscribe to the one at the former. You pay £12 / year for each 'unit' in the scheme, by standing order, some money is paid out each month as 3 cash prizes and the rest is donated to the school.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

schools can be very demanding over money (probably because they know it works) but £50 / month is a bit excessive - they should be glad for what they get! Local school is £15/ year.

I was subject to this money lark from my own old school, they were raising money for scholarships / assisted places etc and got the sixth formers to phone us, initially with some hopeless questionnaire about events I would like to go to, the answer to all these was "I live too far away!". Then the calls for money began, I said I wasn't interested as still funding education for my own kids. After that I ignored any Birmingham number on my phone
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now