Handsworth or Sutton girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ELEVENPLUSMOM

Handsworth or Sutton girls

Post by ELEVENPLUSMOM »

Hi All,
Just want some realistic advice on Sutton girls and Handsworth....we want to put one of them as 2nd choice...we live 3.2 miles from Sutton girls and it takes about 20 mins. to reach there...whereas for Handsworth it is 4.3 miles but it takes about 45 to50 mins. to reach there.. so distance wise Sutton is the best...now,coming to GCSE and A level performance...we heard that Handsworth is much better ...so if someone can give advice ...that wud be helpful......Thanks
booellesmum

Re: Handsworth or Sutton girls

Post by booellesmum »

Hi, no experience of Handsworth but I went to SCGSG and have 2 DD's there. Last year over 1/3 of the girls got 10 A*/A at GCSE.
You have to be careful looking at A level results - the girls have to get at least 5 A's to stay on with at least a B in Maths and English, and then are asked to leave at the end of year 12 if they are not making the grade.(so no wonder A level results look good!)
You can see all the results on the school website:

http://www.suttcold.bham.sch.uk/scgsg/i ... am-results" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(scroll down to bottom of page for lists of results)

I would look at the results for Handsworth as well and compare.
Green Girl

Post by Green Girl »

ELEVENPLUSMOM wrote:Hi All,
Just want some realistic advice on Sutton girls and Handsworth....we want to put one of them as 2nd choice...we live 3.2 miles from Sutton girls and it takes about 20 mins. to reach there...whereas for Handsworth it is 4.3 miles but it takes about 45 to50 mins. to reach there.. so distance wise Sutton is the best...now,coming to GCSE and A level performance...we heard that Handsworth is much better ...so if someone can give advice ...that wud be helpful......Thanks
Hi
I have two daughters at Handsworth and they are both very happy and as far as I know the GCSE results are very good but I have to say that given your decision I would go for the nearest school. Potentially with Sutton your daughter would have an extra hour a day at home and would still be at a very good school. Good luck with the decision; I hope your daughter is happy wherever she ends up.
ELEVENPLUSMOM

Post by ELEVENPLUSMOM »

Many Thanks,
Green girl and booellesmum. :)
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

I agree with regards to nearest school - have to as that is what I did!
DD2's best friend went to Handsworth - gets a bus at 7.00 - her mum admits it is really tiring and they always can't wait 'til the holidays.
DD1 gets up at 7.00, DD2 rolls out of bed at 7.20 with plenty of time before the 8.04 train and they are home by 4.15.
I think it makes a huge difference.
ELEVENPLUSMOM

Post by ELEVENPLUSMOM »

Oh ok,
That is certainly a valid point...time factor must be considered.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now