Challoners Girls vs. St Clement Danes

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ktcroucher0607

Challoners Girls vs. St Clement Danes

Post by Ktcroucher0607 »

Hello All, I would very much appreciate it if any of you have any experience of Challoners Girls or St Clement Danes ... these are our top two schools and I'm struggling even after visiting both and doing extensive research to come to a decision !! Both have pros and cons but for different reasons.

Many thank if you are able to provide any insight / experience of these schools !
Dotty2468

Re: Challoners Girls vs. St Clement Danes

Post by Dotty2468 »

Hello

We have a very happy year 7 at St clement Danes .. :D Our DC came from a single sex private school and we were worried it would be a huge change, but they love it!

The facilities are excellent, the teachers seem to really engage the students and make the lessons interesting. We have already met many of the parents in DCs form and have everyone's contact details (group chat) etc so you don't feel out of the loop! Already social dates in the diary which is unusual for senior school I believe??

I feel that going to a mixed sex school was right for our dc at this age too. We also think Dr Valentine is an excellent head teacher, so feel very lucky we were able to gain a place at this school. The only other school we looked at was parmiters but SCD was the right school.

Good luck with your difficult decision. If you need any further info feel free to DM me
decaff

Post by decaff »

Surely it would depend on if you wanted a traditional grammar school education or a very good partially selective mixed ability comprehensive. We have no grammar schools in Herts and many parents on this forum would love the chance to send their children to grammars (not me). However perhaps Teresa May might change this.
I have friends with children at both. Dr C is consistently one of the best state schools in the country but its completely selective so not surprising and also no sibling rule. Around 20 will go to Oxford and Cambridge each year and you will also have the joys of subjects like latin. I very much think it depends on the child, some children thrive in a strong academic environment. Do you live in Bucks? as far as I'm aware you need to, to get in. I also have a friend who talks very highly of Chesham grammar. There is a Bucks 11+ forum who can give you much more information on Bucks Grammar schools so it would be a good idea to look there and post same question.
Ktcroucher0607

Post by Ktcroucher0607 »

I myself went to a Bucks Grammar school and was taught A Level by Dr Valentine so I have experience of both , however Challoners is very different to the school than the one I went to (Beaconsfield High).

Where I live is on the border in Herts but Challoners is less than 3 miles away. You don't need to live in Bucks to get a place I think it was 9% of their intake was from Herts last year, obviously depending on allocations this year that may be very different for 2017.

I have posted on the Bucks forum also.

They are both excellent schools but offer very different methods in teaching, also the same sex vs mixed etc.

I didn't look at Chesham as that is too far to get her there, which is another consideration as SCD has a coach from the end of my road but Challoners I would need to try and get her on a very full school bus or drive (albeit only 10 mins max).

She is very bright so will do well , personally I like the fact that they offer Classics
at Challoners. She likes both schools and out of the two prefers SCD.

Roll on Friday when hopefully the 11+ results will indicate if Bucks Grammar is suitable although that may then be thrown out of the window if the Hert results are better on Monday !! I hate all this waiting !
decaff

Post by decaff »

Does this mean that Herts families can apply with a reasonable expectation that they may get Dr.C if they pass 11+? Or would they need to live very close to border to get in? I am aware that many children outside Bucks do get Chesham G.
Ktcroucher0607

Post by Ktcroucher0607 »

Yes Herts can apply , around 8-10% of intake is from Herts as it's so close to the border (obviously dependant on Bucks residents being allocated places first)