St Bernard's

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sarmum

St Bernard's

Post by Sarmum »

Can Parents of girls in St Bernard's please give me some information? I'm very happy with the excellent achievements of the school and the girls successful results. However, I read somewhere on schoolsnet that bullying is not addressed as it should be and teachers don't help average students. Is it true? Thoughts please.
voyagers

Re: St Bernard's

Post by voyagers »

Hi sarmum

I know we've spoken about st b's and I'm guessing you'd like some input from other people.
I can only speak from personal experience - we never had an issue with bullying at st b's. The girls were collaborative and supportive of each other, quick to help if they felt Someone was struggling. The pastoral care is, in my opinion, second to none both accessible and very helpful.
If we had any problems the school were always ready to be helpful, ready to listen and took a very co-operative approach to resolving issues.
There will always be students who feel that the school is not working out for them. Grammars experience this, as do comprehensives.
As for the the idea that average students are not helped it's simply not true. You don't achieve results like st Bernard's achieves on what is, in essence, a comprehensive intake by ignoring average students. They are the bread and butter of the results tables - all those students that achieved level 4 on the old nc standards are 'average' students. St b's has a strong assessment policy - termly assessments that monitor progress very closely.
Hope this helps! Entrants are also cat tested upon arrival to establish a baseline from which to measure progress.
Hopefully someone else with experience will be able to throw in their tupenny's worth. It might be worth phoning up the school as you may be able to arrange a tour outside the enquiry day. Talking to the girls themselves should give you a good feel for the school.
Sarmum

Post by Sarmum »

Hi Voyagers,

Thank you very much your reply. I have narrowed down my preference for CAF, and St Bernard's is one of them where my DD should comfortably get in. Will pm you for more info

Thank you
proud_parent

Post by proud_parent »

Sarmum wrote:Hi Voyagers,

Thank you very much your reply. I have narrowed down my preference for CAF, and St Bernard's is one of them where my DD should comfortably get in. Will pm you for more info

Thank you
Hi there, I've heard good reviews about St. Bernards. Do you know their admission criteria and is there any catchment? We are not in catchment for WHSG/SHSG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

proud_parent wrote:
Sarmum wrote:Hi Voyagers,

Thank you
Hi there, I've heard good reviews about St. Bernards. Do you know their admission criteria and is there any catchment? We are not in catchment for WHSG/SHSG
If you go here
http://www.southend.gov.uk/downloads/fi ... let_201819
you will find the link to the 2018/19 Secondary School Admissions policies for all the schools in the Borough. St Bernard's doesn't appear to differentiate between in or outside priority admissions area for selective places.

I'm guessing that if you haven't looked at the admissions policy before now, you haven't actually visited the school, either? Does your DD particularly want to go to a Roman Catholic school?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now