amad's case (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

amad

amad's case (Bucks)

Post by amad »

Hi I too am in the same boat with a result of 120.
What I have noticed is that there have been several unsuccessful reviews at 120.
Any ideas of what is essential to ensure a successful review.
What exactly is academic evidence?
Very disappointed at 120, I want to make sure that the chances of an unsuccessful review are minimised.
Etienne

Re: jadelady appeal

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

This is jadelady's topic - I'll move your post so that it has its own thread.
What exactly is academic evidence?
Have you followed the links to reviews/appeals in Sally-Anne's post?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=48535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If so, you will have seen our suggestions for academic evidence.
Any ideas of what is essential to ensure a successful review
I would suggest:
• Significantly above expectations in reading, writing and maths
• Consistent academic progress
• A '1' or a '2' recommendation from a headteacher whose recommendations appear to be reliable
• A statement of support from the headteacher that matches the definition of a '1' or a '2' recommendation. See also: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
• Other evidence as suggested in our Q&As
• Significant extenuating circumstances (although I'm not really convinced you need these with a score of 120)
Etienne
amad

Re: amad's case (Bucks)

Post by amad »

Thank you for the suggestions. I will speak to the school and see if they are willing to help out.
amad

Post by amad »

Still waiting for a response from the school.
I had a question though is it possible say at the review stage that as the result was so close 120.78 if I don't round down...
That the benefit of the doubt needs to be given to the child, I am a tad frustrated at the rounding down of the score because it seems so unfair.
I suppose I am getting really nervous because the score is close, the academic evidence needs to be very strong.
Never in a million years did I see myself in this situation.
Here's to a few sleepless nights.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think an independent appeal panel would probably be quite sympathetic with regard to the rounding down.

Not sure about a review panel - after all, they (the grammar schools) chose CEM.
They've bought into the system.
There is no 'benefit of the doubt'.

What I would do is just mention that your child scored 120.78.
No need to discuss or complain about rounding.
Let the gap of 0.22 speak for itself!
Etienne
amad

Post by amad »

Oh dear I could pull my hair out!!
The school has come back with a
3 Recommend with reservation
and a
1 for attitude to learning.

The are still gathering the SATS scores but she did say that my daughter was going at the age expected, but all her school reports say was above average.(why do they do that......)
I am at a loss on what to do now.
It seems that although her score was close it might just have been a fluke and nothing to do with her academic ability :cry:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry to hear that, amad - but let's see what the final selection review summary sheet looks like.
Etienne
amad

Post by amad »

:shock:

School have filled in the form and it is
3:1 based on the fact that predicted score is not at greater depth!
That is all that the HT has to say.
Other information provided is

The KS1 End of Yr4 End of yr5 Pred for July 17
Reading 3 4B EXS 100-110
Writing 2A 4c EXS EXS
Maths 2B 3A EXS 100-110

What hope do I have with a review and a score of 120.78.
Her school report is Works very hard and is intelligent working above age level.(1A) on all subjects but that is an internal only report.
Schools performance is always above the national average.

Please advice as I am so confused.
They have given a 3:1 to a student previously and the STTS score was lore and they were successful.

Thank you all for you help and advice and encouragement as I try and find my way through this mine field.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

There are no easy answers, I'm afraid.

I suspect they'll be interested in 111-120 for reading and maths, and GDS (working at greater depth) for writing.
3:1
What we don't know is how many of the school's '1', '2' & '3' recommendations qualified. I think the panel will take into account whether the school has been too strict - or too generous - with its overall recommendations.
Schools performance is always above the national average.
How far above, I wonder? Is it a very high performing school?
They have given a 3:1 to a student previously and the STTS score was low and they were successful.
Because the student had a strong case, or perhaps because the school had been unnecessarily tough with its recommendations. Or both?
Etienne
amad

Post by amad »

So my confusion continues

After speaking to the school I went through my child's Yr 5 school report and it states

1A on all subjects i.e. Works very hard and is above age level.
I though that would be enough to score a 2 at least for the recommendation to GS.
But when questioned,because the predicted score was EXS and not greater depth they have reservations hence the 3.
Is that not conflicting information based on the school report which implies above average!!

My other child (who is in GS) the school report(exactly a year ago as the age gap is 12 months!!) for Yr5 was
2L which implies that the child needs to put more effort and they are in line with age.
He got the through the selection test and his Yr6 scores were EXS exactly the same as what they are predicting for child no2!!

Why such inconsistencies???
Sorry to rant but I am just so exhausted with all these additional complications and confusing standards used to compare scores!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now