Science

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
maknows

Science

Post by maknows »

Hi there,
My DS has started grammar school this year and as he didn't have much science in his state primary am wondering whether there are any good science books (physics bio and chemistry) out there.The ones that help with the core concepts
Are there interesting external science programmes to whet their appetites?
Also any tips and pointers towards helping him him structure his answers in science would be very helpful!
Am new to the UK hence all the questions
Thanks a ton
ToadMum

Re: Science

Post by ToadMum »

maknows wrote:Hi there,
My DS has started grammar school this year and as he didn't have much science in his state primary am wondering whether there are any good science books (physics bio and chemistry) out there.The ones that help with the core concepts
Are there interesting external science programmes to whet their appetites?
Also any tips and pointers towards helping him him structure his answers in science would be very helpful!
Am new to the UK hence all the questions
Thanks a ton

Firstly - and especially if you and he are completely new to the education system here - may I suggest that you give it him at least a term to 'bed in' to what he is being taught at school first? Encourage him to ask his teachers if there is anything he really can't grasp easily. Other pupils will be in the same boat, as 'science' in most primary schools isn't given a huge chunk of the timetable.

If you are near to London, the Royal Institution in Mayfair runs public events, most of which are available to non-members.

http://www.rigb.org/

Obviously, not all are suitable for year 7, but many are. They also run a summer workshop series for aileron and teenagers.

The Grant Museum of Zoology at UCL also runs family events as well as just being available to visit.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/museums/zoology

BBC BiteSize is useful for revision of specific topics.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
maknows

Post by maknows »

Thanks Toadsmum for the fab suggestions
It's been close to two years here so not that new I guess and am still grappling with the system!
In my DS's school the private school kids seem more comfortable with science but as he had around 18months primary education here with hardly any science it looks like a steep incline in a highly competitive environment
Any books you'd recommend ?
We are in greater London so am definitely going to check the Royal Institute etc out
Thanks again :)
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

maknows wrote:In my DS's school the private school kids seem more comfortable with science but as he had around 18months primary education here with hardly any science it looks like a steep incline in a highly competitive environment
This is not a surprise. My DD went to an independent primary and they had science labs, had formal subject specific lessons, used Bunsen burners etc. None of this happened in the local primaries. However the GS has a relatively small proportion of private school in the intake so year 7 was all about getting everyone to the same level so she ended up covering a lot of stuff she already knew. I wouldn't worry too much but just take every opportunity to instil a respect/love for science in the everyday world - as well as finding opportunities such as those already mentioned.
maknows

Post by maknows »

I hope so Reading Mum- he likes the Science he's done till now at school but confidently presenting his answers is another matter.
I guess with time he'll get the lingo :)
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I would take a look at the Christmas lectures - you can watch previous ones online.
http://www.rigb.org/christmas-lectures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They can be very entertaining
solimum

Post by solimum »

Visit the Science Museum / Natural History museum - little and often if you are close enough for it not to be a major expedition. Lots of great science based toys in the gift shop too

The "Horrible Science" books are great fun and aimed at that sort of age group = look in charity shops or for special offers through Red House Books or similar (is that still going? )

There are lots of excellent science programmes on (especially) BBC TV - there's Horizon (lots of old episodes on iplayer) and the various series with people like Brian Cox, David Attenborough etc. There was an excellent one on Poisons with Dr Michael Mosley a couple of years ago that might reappear on BBC4, and one on the periodic table by (?) Jim Al-Kilili. These will probably all be a bit much for him at this age but no reason why you shouldn't watch yourself so he can see that science is interesting to all the family, not just a school subject for passing exams in.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

DD found the Usborne series of books on the separate sciences very helpful for Y5 and Y6, so basic for secondary but might give you a head start. She did benefit from a middle school type system in her school where from Y4 they went off to a lab for science classes and had a properly qualified science teacher, they learned how to experiment, observe, note down observations, team work and write up conclusions. I see the Science Museum have just launched wonderlab - looks interesting. http://beta.sciencemuseum.org.uk/wonderlab/#overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KB

Post by KB »

Much of the science taught at primary level is retaught at secondary anyway.
What the Indies do tend to do is instil the framework for scientific presentation ( as described above).
It's great to encourage an interest in science but in terms of a year 7 getting to grips with class/ homework it's this that will matter.
The teacher should have given them guidelines for how to present their work. Make sure you go through this with your child and check each time that they are following it. It might seem pedantic but it's done to develop logical analysis.
If you have a younger child a good tip is to get the older child to explain the latest concept they have covered to the younger one. This often exposes any 'holes' in basic understanding.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

maknows wrote: he didn't have much science in his state primary
The only thing they need to do at primary school is experiment and more experiments the smellier,louder or brighter the better, enthuse children, make science exciting the theory just comes via osmosis-the theory(boring for young'uns) can wait until secondary school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now