What's Burnham Grammar like nowadays for music?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Aethel

What's Burnham Grammar like nowadays for music?

Post by Aethel »

Trying to sort out our CAF form... does anyone know what Burnham Grammar is like for Music nowadays in terms of clubs/GCSE/general music groups and lessons?

On the open day Sports were very highly pushed, we did see they had music classrooms, but my DD plays a brass instrument and I'm wondering what there is from a more general point of view. Nothing on the school website and they are not answering the phone!
scary mum

Re: What's Burnham Grammar like nowadays for music?

Post by scary mum »

I wouldn't say it is a school you would choose for music, but there are some opportunities. I know, for ecample, that the music rooms are we used at lunchtime. The music teacher (there is only one) is a very nice man & I'm sure if you emailed the info@ email address they would pass an email on to him. I will pm you when I get a chance.
scary mum
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Thanks scary, very helpful to hear your reply.
We'"" ask on the open day this thursday I think.
(dD is enamoured with the place which is not ideal, but hey. )
drummer

Post by drummer »

My boys have recently left, and while they didn't do music themselves I am told that the music teacher is very highly regarded
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Thanks drummer, that's good to know.
We really liked it when we looked around earlier in the year, but given that it's a big decision for her/us, we're going to have another look around just to cement things and to try out the journey she'll need to do on the train (we're off the standard bucks bus route so the train works better.) lack of big orchestral stuff is not a dealbreaker for her (it would be for me, but I need to repeat I Am Not My Daughter!!) so we shall see. Apparently they do have Coding Club and Debating and Drama. So I'' sure she'll find things to do!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Drama has improved enormously in recent years, the drama teacher is fantastic. This year's year 11s are the first to do drama GCSE. Can't comment on the other two, I'm afraid!
scary mum
MrsR

Post by MrsR »

Hello, my daughter is at BGS, is very musical and plays two instruments - I can confirm the music teacher is absolutely fantastic. Because he is the only one, I think time is a big snug for setting up out of hour orchestras etc - although he does say he would like to. DD had deeper knowledge of music than most of her peers when she started and the teacher totally catered for that and she still found the lessons interesting and they did adapt them to suit the various levels of knowledge within her class. She has also played a lot for the school at open evenings / award evenings and has tuition at school for the flute. It certainly hasn't dampened her enthusiasm and what with all the other activities going on there I think it would be pretty hard to fit in another activity - even though I know she would try to if she could. I am absolutely thrilled with the school and how happy she is there. Hope that helps