What Happens Next?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Burneth

What Happens Next?

Post by Burneth »

Now that the results and allocations are beginning to sink in, as a newbie to the transfer process, has anybody got any advice as to what happens now?

Will the new School contact us with further information?

Anybody who has any information please help!
last year mum

Post by last year mum »

Hi Burneth,Congrats to your son!

I'm sure all schools must follow a similar path. We had several follow up letters last year.One was inviting us to a new parent's meeting at about the end of June. Second hand uniform was for sale,bus route details, PTA,pupil hand books.The children all had a taster day at their new school.This was in early July and seemed to be the same day whichever school they were going to.The head of year seven also visited the children at their juniors and talked about the whole process.We were given also a form to fill in asking for a few detaills about our child,hobbies etc,who they knew and who they wanted to be in the same form with. Communication was good.Hope all goes well for your son.
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Thanks for the detailed reply LYM.

DS was a little anxious yesterday...he said that the teacher went round the class and asked which school each child was going to. Most answered with the local comp to which she replied "great choice/great school" and the like but when DS said his school she just nodded and moved on. He is the only one going to his GS in his class so he felt rather the odd one out.

Teacher then went on to talk about the great afternoon that would be spent at the local comp to meet the teachers and so the children could get familar with the school etc etc. DS said he asked what would be happening to him and she said he would have to go with the rest of the class.

Obviously at 11 years old this all seems a big deal so I will now be able to put his mind at rest.

Thanks again.
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Burneth,

Please reassure your DS,all schools wil do their best to make the transfer as happy and painless as possible! Is it possible to try to make contact with any other potential Crypt pupil,as they could spend some time together,this might make the world of difference.
We found another girl in a neighbouring school (met through G&T and sports events)and they have met up in the half term to go swimming etc.
Both feel better now as they have found a friend!
My DD is slighly anxious too, as she is the only GS transfer,and our local comp taster day is always on a different day to the GS.So unless she can go into the infants to help out (she would love that),we will have a girly day at home.As for the teacher's comment, well, some are like that my DD's teacher is the same,so...take it with a pinch of salt.

Your boy will do just fine,with caring and devoted parents,and a great school to go to, the world is his oyster!!

Bets wishes PM xx
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Hi Burneth,did you enjoy your evening?? :wink:
One of my work colleagues DS is off to Tommies-and they have an evening in 2 weeks for uniform etc as it takes 3 months for it to come through! They will definitely have a day in July to go to Crypt and have a taste of what it is like.DS is happy because there are 5 from his class who are going so he wants to be in the same form!
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Thanks for the reassurance everybody - I am quite shocked at the attitude of some teachers...but DS will be gone soon enough.

DS does have friends going to his new school in the year group, they are just not in his class. I wonder whether he will be allowed to stay home on the comp taster day...he seems to think that he will have to tag along!

Gloucestermum - yes had a good look around last night again...and DS enjoyed the activities. We didn't stay too long but were happy with what we did see. I notice they hold a Year 7 residential in September...which is really good for team building and making friends!
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Burneth, I would ask the school what their plans are for your son when the rest of the class visit their new school. It is reasonable to expect him to be put into another year six class.
However I think it is unreasonable for him to visit the school he wll not be attending. I have known cases where one child is left behind when a class goes on a trip etc. to be moved into a younger class.
If this is unacceptable, maybe your child may have a duvet day! :wink:
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Medwaymum and Burneth, My DD's school have only one y6 class and she doesn't want to spend the day in y5, so it will be home for us on that day unless the school can suggest an alternative,only one day after all!

It is unfair to expect DC to go to a school for a taster day if they are not actually going to go to it! PM xx
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Thanks for the advice...I am definitely going to check with the school as to their plans...the majority are going to the local comp but I would estimate possibly 9-10 out of the year of 90 will be going to alternative schools. DS still seems to think he will have to go with the rest to visit the comp but if there are no other arrangements then I will be keeping him home that day (perhaps a duvet day for us both!) :lol: :lol:

I have now had a letter from his new school confirming the arrangements and he will get to spend the whole day as his new school with his new class and he is very excited about that! It may well be that it is on the same day as the other visit(s) but as DS isn't going to that school I am wondering how I would find out, other than checking with his teacher...nothing has been sent home with him as yet.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Hi Burneth,
Have checked some of the comp websites for dates for the new year 7 taster day-most seem to be on Thursday 3rd July-as do the grammar schools.(Tommies/Crypt/Ribston/High School).I cannot see anything on the website of the comp you are referring to though! Perhaps give them a ring and ask when it is? Hopefully they have all made a collective decision to have it the same day to minimise problems such as you describe.The only one I can see which is different is Pates which is Weds 2nd July.
Was thinking about how we were this time last week-how time flies!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now