Does it worth appealing

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Alice73

Does it worth appealing

Post by Alice73 »

Hello, dear everybody,
I had to come here at last, after the long rollercoaster. It is a hard time for us. My DD sadly did not pass. She was short of 30 marks. But there were a lot of circumstances that lead to her being withdrawn and not happy - housing problems prior to our moving at the end of her Yr 5, changing 2 schools prior to exams, not being able to get into the same school with her sisters, missing her old friends, bullying in both new schools.
She is still not happy in her new second school, and keep saying she just wants to get back to her old school. The school has even arranged counselling sessions for DD with our permission as she is totally withdrawn and quiet. DD says the whole class is still outcasting her, and no matter how hard she tries to be friends with them, they still don't accept her. She feels lonely and sad at school. We talked to her school several times and even took her to our doctor couple of times.
DD has wanted a grammar school so badly. What can I do? Does it worth appealing? I have been reading about families appealing with only 1 or 2 marks short. DD has got two level 5s on Yr 5 SATs prior to our move. I don't know what to do. Please, help.
Alice
A Very worried Mum

Post by A Very worried Mum »

Dearest Alice,

I am so sad to read of your circumstances. I sadly have no real advice as I am also in a desperate situation with our Son. The only thing I can assure you of is, that there are plenty of truly amaxing people on this forum, who will only be too happy to help you if they can.

Thinking of you and your Daughter and wish you only the best.

AVWM ;) x
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Alice, sorry no real advice from me either,but I'm sure someone will be along to offer you some, just had to say how sorry I am to hear of your sad situation,i'm sure things will work out, children can be cruel sometimes. Have you any friendly contacts among the parents at her school? this may help if you can enlist some support,they may encourage their children to offer a hand in friendship to your DD.

I know that I would try,as a caring mum,to help if I could by trying to get my DD to befriend yours.

Lots of luck and best wishes PM xx
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Alice73

30 marks sounds a lot, but it depends whether you can put forward a strong enough case.

You obviously have extenuating circumstances. You need as much documentary evidence as possible for all the problems. Evidence of the counselling and of GP involvement would be particularly useful.

Most important, however, is lots of evidence of very high ability (not always easy to assemble when there have been frequent changes of school). The level 5s in optional SATs are very helpful but not enough. You may need to consider an ed. psych. report - see the Q&As, B3.

Regards
Etienne
Katie

Post by Katie »

Hello Alice,

I was really sorry to read of your circumstances and about your daughter's problems at school.
You have certainly come to the right place for help. We went through a very difficult appeal process last year solely on advice from the very supportive moderators and users of this forum. I really do empathise with you.
I too was very badly bullied at senior school - having come into the school mid year in year 8.
Our family had been relocated due to my father's government employment and a terrorism threat - so for me to be bullied in my new school was a case of out of the frying pan - into the fire!
The bulling was very severe - not just name calling or verbal abuse. On one occasion I had my clothing set alight, - still it meant I got a new more fashionable skirt!
I had pins stuck in my back during assembly and then got told off and sent out for creating a comotion when I tried to move away from the perpetrator.
Regularly had my school bag posted out of the window of the bus in a rural area - and anything I made in food technology rarely made it home!
I had the sleeves cut off my blazer - etc. etc.
Anyway - what I wanted to say was; despite the awful time I had a school with some of the children - I eventually formed friendships which are still strong today. I had no choice of another grammar school to attend, and with both parents working and no relatives (except those in the country I came from) or friends locally - could not stay at home during the day. I had no choice but to attend school, but it did get better! I am still in regular contact with several of my old class mates - although I'd never have thought back then that things would change so dramatically as we progressed up to year 11.
I moved schools four times - each time my father's job caused us to move, and still have contact with old friends from all the schools, even those outside England.
I would have a look at the existing research on children who change schools due to bullying. It's quite surprising.
Best of luck if you decide to go for an appeal.
A Very worried Mum

Post by A Very worried Mum »

Katie - what an amazing girl you are. You have my full respect and admiration............

Much Love

AVWM
Katie

Post by Katie »

That's a very generous response. I wouldn't say that my early life experiences had a great effect on me - but a lot of life's little problems do seem like a doddle now in comparison! I certainly feel able to empathise with children who have difficulties - been there - got the t-shirt!
Alice73

Post by Alice73 »

Thank you very much for your posts full of kind words and support, everybody. I was thinking the same 30 points might be too much. The pass mark was 436 in Bexley. My DD says she is OK with the given school now, but you know the feeling of trying to do everything possible, and looking at the possibility of appeal is tempting. Plus the main bully talking her class into not being friends with her will be going into the same school, and DD fears that girl will start spreading words against her again in a new school.
I will look into her school years reports and tell you the levels. Please, could you look at this levels, and tell me what you think. Thanks,
Alice
Alice73

Post by Alice73 »

I have found school reports from Yrs 2,3,4 and 5. Here are the results:
Yr 2. Reading teacher as. level 2a, Writing teacher as. level 2b, Reading test level 2a, writing test level 2a. Maths teacher as. 2b, test level 2b.Science 2b, ICT level 2. General comments: 'DD is a capable girl who can be relied upon always to produce a high standard of work'...helpful, considerate, polite, very organised, pleasure to teach...and many more praises
Yr 3 reading 3b, writing 3b speaking and listening 3, numeracy 2a, science 3c, ICT 3c. Genaral comments: delight to teach, helpful, considerate, polite, works hard and produces work to be really proud of, can be relied upon always to produce a high standard of work...and many more praises
Yr 4Literacy S+L TA 4c, reading 4c, writing 3a, Numeracy 3c, Science 3A, ICT 3a. General comments: Produces excellent work to be really proud of, helpful, considerate, polite, puts an excellent amount of effort to produce work of a high standard, pleasure to teach...and many more praises
Yr 5Reading level 5, writing level 5, TA reading 4b, writing 4c, numeracy 4a, science 4a, ICT 4c General comments: a very capable girl who can be relied upon to always produce a high standard of work, hardworking, pleasure to teach...
We started having housing and other issues so when DD was in Yr 5, she was always worried about moving by then...
Alice
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Alice

I am very sorry to hear of your daughter's result and her problems at school.

As Etienne says, 30 marks seems a lot, and in Bucks would put you at the very low end of likely appeal success. However, I wouldn't close the door just yet - get the appeal papers and then at least you still have the option.

Could you post the results for the individual papers (I presume you have them) and any comments on whether she has shown particular strngths or weaknesses in each area until now? That will help us.

If she does transfer to the same school as the bully I would strongly recommend that you inform the new school in writing of the problem beforehand. That will enable them to separate the two girls as far as possible and to watch for problems from the start. Make sure that you get a response to the letter as well - verbal or written.

Good luck
Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now