Rochester Grammar school location/commute

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tweet555

Rochester Grammar school location/commute

Post by tweet555 »

We are going to list RGS in CAF form for my dd and are considering the options to move near to school. My husband works in Central London and the current travel time for him is 1 hr 10 mins (from west London) . Please could anyone suggest what are the best locations so that he can travel to work everyday from Medway and dd can either walk or take public transport to RGS?

Many thanks in avance
RochelleaDee

Re: Rochester Grammar school location/commute

Post by RochelleaDee »

Hello,

I work in the City (St. Pauls area) and live in Northfleet/Gravesend. I travel to work by coach - Redwing coaches. My DD is going to RGS next September and will take the School Bus from Lions Garage in Gravesend. I think its a 36 minute journey but also hoping other parents whose DD's take the bus can share their experience(s). Thanks and good luck.
Mumx4

Post by Mumx4 »

Hello ladies,

This reply is a duplicate of the one posted to RochelleaDee earlier

Apologies for the late reply - just seeing this. My daughter is currently in Year 9 and has been using the bus from Lions Garage to Rochester Grammar (Bus 668 Lions Garage) since Year 7.

I've just asked her to recap on her experiences:

Departs Lions Garage: 7:34am Arrives RGS: 8:10
Departs RGS: 15:30 Arrives Lions Garage 16:05
The main traffic experienced is on the Rochester Bridge

In the morning all the children get seats, some boys from the Rochester Maths use the bus service as well - although the majority of students attend RGS.

After school - sometimes she says you might get children who hitch a ride on the bus if they find that their bus is late. You might have instances where children have to stand on the bus. This will not be for the whole journey mind.

Generally the bus arrives on time in the mornings, but there have been times when it has arrived late (for instance this Monday was foggy, so the children arrived 10 mins late.

If a bus breaks down, Arriva usually arranges for an alternative bus to transport the children.

I hope I have helped in someway, I know the response is quite late. The children do form friendships with the commute and my daughter hasn't had any complaints.
tweet555

Post by tweet555 »

Thank you RochelleaDee and mumx4 for the info
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Rochester is probably the best of the Medway Towns, but has one or two edgy areas. Depending on your budget, you might want to consider properties on the west side of Maidstone Road. The right location could be walkable to both RGS and the railway station.