Double Science Award and extra science

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Yamin151

Double Science Award and extra science

Post by Yamin151 »

Hi

My son, who would otherwise have taken 3 separate sciences, is now in Y9 at a school where they do "Double Award" science for GCSE. As a bright boy, he wants to join a selective 6th form, which does accept Double Award science. But clearly a 9th GCSE makes more sense for taking the best 8 results. He currently wants to take biology (interest in veterinary science) and business studies as extras - does taking biology make sense with the Double Award, or is it like taking 2 the same???

This is an online school so here are the 8 he will do anyway

Maths
English Language
English Literature
Double Award Science
Geography
History
French

The others offered are (and can do anything he wants, all combos possible)

Spanish
Business Studies
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
Film Studies
German

Any thoughts? I know the choice ultimately up to him, but just wondering about science really.
Many thanks
Guest55

Re: Double Science Award and extra science

Post by Guest55 »

Aren't they offering the three sciences separately? Most schools offer double OR separate. I didn't think you could do a mix of both?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I wonder if it is related to the practicality of assessments / practicals etc ?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Ignoring the GCSE conundrum for a second...double check with Universities but I am fairly certain that Chemistry is the essential requirement at A level for Veterinary Studies, not Biology.

I suspect that doing Double Award Science (which is what some schools offer for Science GCSE) negates the need to do "additional" Biology/Chemistry etc...although, generally, doing them separately sets you up far better for A level study (and I suspect, having recently been to the 6th Form Open Evening) this will become MORE improtant. I am not sure how Science would work with practicals though (or for the Double Science Award) but possibly like the Open Uni this school has some contact time?

Do they offer RE? That can be a fairly straightforward qualification - quite formulaic so relatively easy to get a high grade GCSE - one of the reasons our school has moved away from doing it as they can see more benefit out of doing the alternative qualification.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I'm :? . Again

What kind of school offers triple science and dual science(common enough) but then also offers dual science and a single science? The point being?

Yamin,please check this out.

And which selective a sixth form does not accept Double Award, odd that, Oxford and Cambridge do!

But there again what do I know?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Catseye...read what Yamin says carefully!!!

It is an online school currently, which comes unde the home education banner. Options are therefore more flexible than a bricks and mortar institution. The selective 6th Form he would like to attend DOES accept Double Award Science.

Not that confusing if you read it properly.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Catseye...read what Yamin says carefully!!!

It is an online school currently, which comes under the home education banner. Options are therefore more flexible than a bricks and mortar institution. The selective 6th Form he would like to attend DOES accept Double Award Science.

Not that confusing if you read it properly.
Hey!

someone here is confused,I took your advice and I still don't get it!

There is no mention of an online school and where did you get the banner of home education?

And name me one selective 6th form that does not accept Dual Science.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

crikey it does mention an online school :oops:
What the heck is that?
Amber

Post by Amber »

The dual award will cover Biology though. He will effectively do two thirds of the syllabus in all three sciences which he would have done for triple science. So I imagine if he takes Biology he is going to get rather bored as there will be so much overlap. I don't think many institutions look down their noses at dual award science (though sadly some people on this forum do) and I know two DC who did it and went into Medicine and Dentistry. Looking at those lists though - why can't he do Biology, Physics and Chemistry? I am a bit puzzled as to how they offer them all as an 'extra' but not as an individual subject, unless I am just being dense, which at the moment is entirely possible.

In terms of another choice - what does he enjoy? Could he start a couple and see (as this is an online school with total flexibility) which ones he likes best? Unless he is a confident linguist I would probably avoid two languages online - you kind of need a person with those, I think, to speak with and listen to.
KB

Post by KB »

Is it all possible there has been some confusion and it's possible to choose between double science as 2 'slots' or the three individual subjects as three 'slots' ie making one extra slot over the basic number?
Last edited by KB on Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now