Separation & School Applications

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Superhoop

Separation & School Applications

Post by Superhoop »

First time poster to this forum.

My husband and I are separated & we have a DD who is in year 5. My DD now wants to move & live with her Dad who is living in Bucks. My ex want her to apply to grammar school but she's currently living with me 80 miles away. When she moves in with her dad do I need to provide any paperwork to prove that she's living there? Or is that fact that I'm located 80 miles away will suffice?

Thanks in advance.
Sally-Anne

Re: Separation & School Applications

Post by Sally-Anne »

You need to read the rules in the Secondary Admissions brochure: http://beta.buckscc.gov.uk/media/1040/m ... tion-1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From Page 25:
Shared or joint residence

To avoid doubt, where a child lives with parents/carers (with or without parental responsibility)
whether for part of a week, or month, the address where the child lives for admission purposes will be
determined by confirmation of:

- the registered address to which Child Benefit is currently being paid

OR
- if Child Benefit is not received, the address at which a child is registered with a GP

OR
- The address at which the child spends the greater proportion of the school week from Sunday evening to Thursday evening

You must therefore send us a copy of your latest benefit entitlement notice or your child’s medical card.

We may ask for further evidence.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Comment removed by Moderator

Will this be until she is 18 or will she move back with you at some point?

Does she want to go to grammar school? DG
doodles

Post by doodles »

Welcome, superhoop, I hope somebody is able to help you.
Comment removed by Moderator
DG I don't think this is any of our business, OP would just like some advice.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

doodles wrote:DG I don't think this is any of our business, OP would just like some advice.
Thank you, doodles, and I agree completely.

I have removed the comments above, and I hope superhoop will feel able to continue to ask for advice on this issue.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Not sure what DG said but I hope that you are OK. On the whole, I've found this forum very supportive.

Also, we are making a similar move in the new year & I'm finding it tough. I can't imagine how you must feel about this at all.
Superhoop

Post by Superhoop »

Thanks Sally-Anne. My daughter keeps changing her mind on where to live & my ex and I aren't agreeing on anything. I think we will each make a separate application for her.

I'm sure that I will get flamed for this so bring it on!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Oh dear. :(

You have 6 months still to decide if she will sit the Bucks 11+ (the deadline to apply for the test is 30th June), and even then you could submit an application for the test and withdraw from it at the last minute. That buys you more than 8 months.

For decisions about schools, you have a full 9 months until 1st October - the date for evidence of residence in Bucks. You need to check the deadline for whichever LA you are currently resident in - that could be 31st October, the same date that the CAF is due by.

I know how difficult these situations can be, but I strongly recommend that you take the time available to you to come to firm decisions on both residence and schools, and involve family mediation if necessary.

I'm sure there have been cases where separated parents have each submitted an application independently, but the potential for confusion and even disaster is huge. As a simple example, you cannot both claim that your daughter is resident with you, so one of the applications could be deemed fraudulent and any place awarded could be withdrawn.

Edited at 17.33 to add: I am sending you a PM (Private Message). You can retrieve it at the top LH corner of this page.