"This is London" by Ben Judah

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
loobylou

"This is London" by Ben Judah

Post by loobylou »

Has anyone else read this book? I got it for Christmas and was glued to it (in between having to be sociable ;-) ) for a few days until I finished it. I'd love to know anyone else's perspectives on it?
JaneEyre

Re: "This is London" by Ben Judah

Post by JaneEyre »

Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm! :D Your post prompted me to put this book on my reading list :D ... but it will take me time to get to read it, so I hope other forumites will come and share their views with you. :wink:
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Thanks JaneEyre. I will look forward to your opinion!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Oh dear! I have not been precise enough: it will take me months before being able to read it, so I really really hope somebody else will come to give you some feedbacks and discuss the book with you! Otherwise, I will pick up this thread again on page 2 or 3 in a few months! :wink:
I am reading everyday though ( reading 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' at the moment) but I have to stay focused on some topics and books, hence my predicament. :cry:
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Don't worry. I wasn't expecting you to be quicker than that!
mad?

Post by mad? »

Well I have had it on my bedside table since Christmas but have another one on the go at the moment and keep falling asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow but will revisit this thread once I have read it.
mad?
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Fascinating book review in the Guardian.Another one now on the list. Already two piles on the bedside table not touched and added to from Xmas gifts.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/ ... dah-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Miltonkeynes1

Post by Miltonkeynes1 »

loobylou wrote:Has anyone else read this book? I got it for Christmas and was glued to it (in between having to be sociable ;-) ) for a few days until I finished it. I'd love to know anyone else's perspectives on it?
I am reading it at the moment after your recommendation. I am halfway through and it is a fabulous read, very frank and honest. I lived in London for 15 years in the nineties through to the mid noughties and saw the change, especially around the east of the city. I'll let you know what I think when I have finished and would love to know your views.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Another book I've just read and enjoyed - if that's the right word - "Another Day in the Death of America" by Gary Younge. Really fascinating.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now